Gum wall tyres.

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited May 2013 in MTB general
I see lots of racers with them but not seen any in reviews. Do any of you run them and is there some good ones about? Obviously good enough for the pro's!

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How does the colour make any difference?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Racers in the 80's?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Charge splashbacks were good but wore very very quickly.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That's a shame, i was actually looking at a pair of those incidentally. Seem like an interesting tread more than anything else - think i was drawn to the odd design lol
  • A few accidental rear wheel lock ups and they pretty much flat spotted lol.

And despite their name, they were crap in the wet. Dry weather tyre only!

But, they were grippy. I had the 1.8's and only wanted new tryes because I couldnt get used to them being so thin!
    I'll probably use them for commuting on the taff trail until they die.
  • idiotdogbrain
    idiotdogbrain Posts: 181
    This is what you will have most likely seen the racers using...

Fast-Bird.png

Dugast racing tubulars.
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Fitted Charge splashbacks to my wifes bike. Great tyres, but agree with using them in the dry. Fairly light weight especially side walls. They do look 'Da Lick' mind!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Skin wall tyres are the bomb!! The commencal meta Am3 has skinwall Onza tyres on a white frame and it looks stunning!! I've always loved the look of them and I'd give an arm and a leg for some Skinwall hans dampfs!
  • lbalony
    How does the colour make any difference?

It doesnt! Its just nice to have some colour or difference? Just like the look. Plus they'll make me faster & better! Like you was before you sanded all the paint of your bike as it was unnessacary :D
  • lbalony
    This is what you will have most likely seen the racers using...

Fast-Bird.png

Dugast racing tubulars.

Nice but hardly any tread on them!
  • lbalony
    lawman wrote:
    Skin wall tyres are the bomb!! The commencal meta Am3 has skinwall Onza tyres on a white frame and it looks stunning!! I've always loved the look of them and I'd give an arm and a leg for some Skinwall hans dampfs!

Skinwalls! I knew they would have a name! I'll give that a search, as my home brew name of gum walls came up with nothing!
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Gumwalls are absolute beauties. So sexy. I want a pair of Halo Twinrails so bad!

Anyone else know any cheap but still half decent gum wall tyres? Halos are a bit on the expensive side, and ive already got a pair of Maxxis Aspens so i cant justify even buying tyres. xD