MTB protective gear

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bell are excellent and cheap (£17 on Ebay at the moment). I also got a Giro from High on Bikes off Ebay for £17. Delivered today and nice light comfy bargain.
    Providing they fit well.
    But all comply with minimum standards, so a Lidl/Aldi/Asda will work fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I couldnt be bothered to Google it.

Did they get discontinued because of the price? And i think i might have some helmets in the shed. I might go have a look! I remember having a couple though i doubt i still have them, worth a look anyway.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Found two helmets, and one of them is a Bell! Judging by whats been said its a good helmet. (excuse the dinner and various tools in the background)

The other one likes nice though, i like the design on it. Just a tad heavier than the bell when holding them (no scales)

So are these any good?

IMAG0149_zpsbf38b9b9.jpg
    IMAG0147_zps592f442f.jpg
    IMAG0148_zps2992e090.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy way to find out. Put one on your head and get you mom to whack you with the hammer.
    Don't forget to post pics. Of her obviously.

Might just be the light, but that Met looks like it's taken a whack front left.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    And which ever one keeps me out of hospital is the best? lol. No photos of mama! lmao.

Its just the design patterns that make it look like that, if you look at the photo really closely you can make out that its a bit of silver design.

Just had a look at Met helmets and they are bloody expensive! Hopefully thats an indication of it being a good helmet. Btw, i also found a nice Giro one but i havent got a photo of it yet. It is pretty much identical to this, but with a different colour scheme. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_271409

Would you say a helmet and gloves are all i need for forest trails?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    Easy way to find out. Put one on your head and get you mom to whack you with the hammer.

Might just be the light, but that Met looks like it's taken a whack front left.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):D:D:D:D:D

don't use the claw end of the hammer
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    FFS can the numpties get their own topic? Or not make everything about them?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    hairo786 wrote:
    Hi,

am looking for recommendations on protective gear for cross country biking.

Ideally I think leg (shin + knee) combo, elbow and gloves should suffice for me?

When I was a youngster I hard a bad bike accident, so my confidence is low. I was looking for gear that is comfortable enough while offering the right amount of protection for cross country.

Thanks in advance

Most people use just helmet and gloves for XC but I can understand if you would want to build your confidence up.

Chain reaction do "brand X" kit which works well and is good value, I have their elbow pads. You could also look at "race face" I find their knee pads quite comfortable over longish distances and they stay put.

Knew & shin might be overkill and can be a bugger to keep in place for lots of XC pedalling
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    I used to wear gloves ALL the time, but i havent worn them since the weather has warmed up a bit. Last year i wore them whatever the weather.

To be fair, gloves are less of an issue travelling at pushbike speeds (unless you're a lot fitter and faster than I am, lol).
    Dangly things between your legs.

If you say so. My point is that you're going to lose a lot less skin falling off at 15mph on dirt than you are at 115mph on tarmac, which clearly isn't "dangly things between your legs". At the speeds I ride an MTB it's seriously unlikely that I'd sustain any abrasion injury that's going to cost me a hand, but I do wear gloves anyway (as I said earlier). The Axo motocross gloves I've been using are a bit sweaty on warm days, so I picked up some half price Specialized gel mitts while in their shop looking for a new lid, but I'm after some full finger gloves that are better vented than my Axos. I have a couple of unused pairs of these (in black) spare that I could use if my riding ever gets significantly more hardcore, but they'd be rather OTT for what I'm doing on my newbie rides:

alpinestars_air_carbon_gloves.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    [Yeah thats a good point, ive never ripped skin off my hands by falling off, it tends to be my elbows and knees that get the rips, and on my hands i get massive bruises. I dont know how.

The skin's obviosuly been toughened up by all the self abuse, lol...
  • Kowalski675
    Step83 wrote:
    I am getting tempted to wear forearm/elbow pads solely because i keep twanging them on technical trails and it hurts!

I've earned a big red forearm scratch from evil attack branchesthe last two times I've been out on my bike.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

Lols :lol:

Insert pun about Arrowhead getting whacked off by his mum here...
  • Kowalski675
    Just had a look at Met helmets and they are bloody expensive!

Have a look at what Arai cost, lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Get my own thread? Wtf? im talking about protective gear ffs.

Kowalski, you are nasty as hell. lol.

Arai are a well known motorsports helmet manufacturer arent they? lol.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski, you are nasty as hell. lol.

That's what your mum said after I'd finished with her.
    Arai are a well known motorsports helmet manufacturer arent they? lol.

Premium quality Japanese motorcycle and motorsports helmets. As far as I'm concerned they're the only motorcycle helmet manufacturer - I won't wear anything else (I have eight of them, lol).
  • hairo786
    hairo786 Posts: 13
    Just a small update since I wrote this post;

I ordered some elbow and knee pads - yet to be delivered.

However over the bank holiday i decided to go to cannock chase and stupidly try a red trail for fun with my mate. Managed to complete the monkey trail without an falls, got to the car park, while I was adjusting my glasses I hit a rock fell over and the pedals took some skin out my left leg.

Aside from the painful butt, a sprained wrist and a scarred leg it was a good bank holiday.
  • Kowalski675
    hairo786 wrote:
    However over the bank holiday i decided to go to cannock chase and stupidly try a red trail for fun with my mate. Managed to complete the monkey trail without an falls, got to the car park, while I was adjusting my glasses I hit a rock fell over and the pedals took some skin out my left leg.

:lol: D'oh!