Pacing for a (flat) century sportive - advice needed

I'm down to ride the Norwich 100 this Saturday.

This is the first organised sportive I've ridden in the UK - and I'm assuming it's pretty different to a 'proper' sportive given it's more a mass charity ride type event.

Anyway, my question/dilemma is this.

I can comfortably ride 100 miles, but I'm not sure what to expect in terms of other riders and pacing myself with them.

On my own, I'd aim to break 6 hours with some steady riding, but I think I'd also be comfortable in a faster group, riding as a bunch.

In these sorts of events, do groups form like this? Or does it depend on the event?

In other words, I'm unsure whether to tag onto a fast group and aim for sub-5, or expect that groups won't form and aim for sub-6 on my own.

Comments

• Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    Bunches will certainly form, but if you're not experienced riding in groups this might not be the right occasion to learn. If you are experienced, just go with the flow, jump from bunch to bunch until you find one that suits your pace and you should get a fast time.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    Southgate wrote:
    Bunches will certainly form, but if you're not experienced riding in groups this might not be the right occasion to learn. If you are experienced, just go with the flow, jump from bunch to bunch until you find one that suits your pace and you should get a fast time.

That's good to hear. I'm happy riding in a bunch, regularly in a chaingang and no problems there. I was more unsure - having never done a sportive here - whether it would be difficult to find a fast group to tag onto.

100 miles is a bit of an awkward distance, I think, in that you can treat it as a fast 5 hours or a well-paced 6 hours, but there's a big difference between the two.
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    All the local cycle clubs will have a couple of bunches out there, typcially one trying to go round in 4hrs 30 (not including stop at Sheringham) and second closer to 5hr 45.

If you're rolling at 17-18mph you'll find plenty of other riders willing to pair up and share a bit or work on front, invariably you'll find yourself on your own for some segements, but not for long

Numbers are way down this year though, the decision to roll on a saturday a key factor
  • ransos1
    ransos1 Posts: 34
    Southgate wrote:

That's good to hear. I'm happy riding in a bunch, regularly in a chaingang and no problems there. I was more unsure - having never done a sportive here - whether it would be difficult to find a fast group to tag onto.

100 miles is a bit of an awkward distance, I think, in that you can treat it as a fast 5 hours or a well-paced 6 hours, but there's a big difference between the two.

My (limited) experience of sportives is that lots of riders aren't very good at riding in bunches, so be careful! My advice is to hook up with a group in the same local cycling club colours, as they're more likely to know what they're doing.
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    I agree.
    Stick with club riders, so go out early and not play catch-up as you won't. The 75 lot are likely not club riders and so will not have the knowledge nor discipline to ride in close formation.