What Road Bike - £1000

nufc_fan
nufc_fan Posts: 70
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Currently riding a 29er MTB and would like to buy a road bike for longer rides at weekend and perhaps a few Sportives next summer.

The roads around where I live are reasonable but still the odd pot hole. I had considered a Cyclocross to allow more use on NCN routes and Wagonways etc however I think from my research a road bike would be the best bet, although will listen to any compelling arguments.

Looking to spend around the £1000 mark, happy to go slightly over if it makes a big difference but would prefer to keep it under £1000 if possible.

Don't have to buy it immediately so if anyone has any suggestions on a good time of year to get a good deal that would be great?

Comments

• smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    Can't go wrong with a Boardman Team, full 105 groupset for under £1000 with fairly decent wheels also.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    There are a fair few options around that price because of the £1000 cycle-to-work scheme limit. That Boardman looks like a good deal. This Giant also gets a good press, as does the Cannondale CAAD8.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    nufc_fan wrote:
    Currently riding a 29er MTB and would like to buy a road bike for longer rides at weekend and perhaps a few Sportives next summer.

The roads around where I live are reasonable but still the odd pot hole. I had considered a Cyclocross to allow more use on NCN routes and Wagonways etc however I think from my research a road bike would be the best bet, although will listen to any compelling arguments.

Looking to spend around the £1000 mark, happy to go slightly over if it makes a big difference but would prefer to keep it under £1000 if possible.

Don't have to buy it immediately so if anyone has any suggestions on a good time of year to get a good deal that would be great?

Trek Domane 2.0, designed for cobbles so should be able to handle the odd NCN route. RRP is £1,000.
  • nufc_fan
    nufc_fan Posts: 70
    Will look at those options, thanks.

Also have had a little look at the Cyclocross bikes, Will be better on the rougher ground and gravel track that make up part of the NCN routes and wagonways. Would they be a big sacrifice in performance over a road bike for a 60mile + sportive?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    the bike that wins all the tests at £1000 price point is the giant defy 1.It is the bench mark according to mags etc.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    nufc_fan wrote:

BEst time of year is often sept /oct as teh brands launch next year bike 2014 models, the the 2013 models tend to get discounted - although Giant often don't have much of a sale so worth bearing in mind if you follow the Defy herd.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem