Have you ever encountered...

loborojo
loborojo Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in The hub
Have you ever encountered freehikers? They are people who hike naked.
What do you think of them and the activity?
If you ride in a state or national nature reserve/park would you report them to the authorities? Why or why not?

I've heard about freehikers and read their stories. Now I would like to hear from you guys what your thoughts and reactions are. As they say, "There are always two sides to a story." Could you please tell me yours?

(BTW I am considering taking up cycling, but first I have to learn to ride a bike. LOL )

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you are sad and should have really posted this in Crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • loborojo
    What do you mean?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why would anybody want to hike with no clothes on and risk being done for indecent exposure? Yes I would report them as some people do not want to see stuff like that.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Not 'freehikers' but naked cyclists. Twice now I have seen a guy riding naked through our village, and when I was riding my motorbike on the B500 in Germany we passed a naked guy riding his racing bike. Bit weird, but it takes all sorts.
  • cooldad
    I just find it weird that someone would join a forum to ask about naked men.
    Takes all sorts is right.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    If i get abused like hell for thinking my bike is better then a rusted BMX. Only god himself knows how much abuse you would have got if you posted this in the Crudcatcher...

You have yet to take up cycling so your first question on the forum is this?
  • supersonic
    Let me do the moderating ;-)
  • gt-arrowhead
    Im not trying to moderate, i was just saying :lol:

But let me give you a suggestion...move this thread to the CC? :lol::lol:
  • supersonic
    If he wants a proper discussion, it is best here.
  • cooldad

You shouldn't even be allowed in Crudcatcher - wait until your mom finds out.
    In bad Terry Jones voice - "You're a very naughty boy."
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    supersonic wrote:
    If he wants a proper discussion, it is best here.

Yep

I was joking, i know how it feels to be abused anyway. lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    cooldad wrote:

You shouldn't even be allowed in Crudcatcher - wait until your mom finds out.
    In bad Terry Jones voice - "You're a very naughty boy."

:lol::lol: I disagree!
  • loborojo
    Thanks guys for weighing in on this. LOL It is strange I must admit. I'm glad I didn't take your advice, cooldad, and move it to the Crudcatcher forum. I serious discussion about this is what I want.

It's sort of part of a drawn out study of mine on liberty. And nudity(-ism) is a controversial enough issue. (Says a lot about me, I guess, that I would want to pay attention to that part of society.)

Anyway, I would like to take up cycling, but am having a hard time to join up with some guys to cycle with. In fact, I still need to buy a bike and all the equipment that goes with it. But, I'm the kind of person for whom cycling (or all exercises for that matter) in a group is a necessity. If I don't have friends to cycle with I won't cycle for long. I'm goal driven in all other areas of my life though, but not exercise. I don't know why. Guess it takes all sorts, eh?

But, thanks for your response.
  • supersonic
    I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid myself if a spotted a nude rambling on the moors, but if I was out with my family the last thing I'd want my grandma to see is some old blokes wrinkly old todger. Or worse.
  • cooldad
    SS - I promise not to ramble anywhere near your family.
    Weird guy - easy enough to find people to ride with - The Routes and Rides section here is useful. We've had plenty of beginners ride with us - some carry on, some don't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • loborojo
    LOL. Thanx, cooldad.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Surely if you are going to be a nude rambler you just have to have a gore tex tattoo on your chest
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Why are naked ramblers always old and wrinkled, never attractive ladies
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Why are naked ramblers always old and wrinkled, never attractive ladies

could you imaging how popular rambling would be if it was all naked young women :lol:

shit you would have to go biking in the sea if you wanted some room.......nice thought that , naked pretty ramblers 8)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    loborojo wrote:
    . . . I would like to take up cycling, but am having a hard time to join up with some guys to cycle with. In fact, I still need to buy a bike and all the equipment that goes with it. . . .Guess it takes all sorts, eh?

Try getting a bike - surely a more fundamental requirement than some guys to cycle with - and see what happens. And if I may answer with a question of my own, why are you asking about nude ramblers in a cycling forum, when there are so many ramblers/hikers/mountaineers fora about? Or have you already covered them too?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Wasn't there an article in mbuk years and years ago about naked mountain bikers?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nude cycling will work until you jump on the bike and land on your plums
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    stubs wrote:

Even before that, it'll be a bit tricky to attach cleats to your feet
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Giraffoto wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Even before that, it'll be a bit tricky to attach cleats to your feet
    Hmm, makes sense I suppose, since you need to be a pervert to use SPDs, and a pervert would be drawn to naked cycling. Bit of a conundrum, I'll grant you that.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about being spotted by a bunch of naked ramblers, than I would be of seeing them. I don't think I could handle their reaction to sseing such a fine physical specimen as myself, imagine all the the poles and wide-ons.
    And imagine the wetness? We already get regular floods round here, without the addition of excessive bodily fluids.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You'd probably not see them for all the bushes, out in the wild.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    I've never figured out why people get so upset about nudity. I mean yes, the majority of people are not particularly nice to look at, but is a wrinkly old todger or a pair of saggy boobs really that offensive? Let's be honest, we're all going to be stuck with our own some day.
    Frankly until someone is rubbing their genitals on you they're not hurting anyone, and they don't have to be nude to do that. If you don't like it don't look. Problem solved.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I don't quite understand "why", either, but i do understand and recognise that a lot of people don't like having naked body bits in view. And since wearing clothes is no big deal, it makes everyone's lives easier to not offend.

I suspect that nudity as a taboo is purely a cultural thing, that is deeply ingrained and difficult to overcome (some may not even desire to overcome it). But clothing is also highly practical. Here in the UK, you'd be lucky to get a handful of weeks of weather where being naked would be pleasant in any year, the rest of the time, it's brass moneys, frankly.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    if I was out with my family the last thing I'd want my grandma to see is some old blokes wrinkly old todger
    Surely out of all of your family, she's the one who will already have seen the most wrinkly old todger so would be least offended by it?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    Exactly, she'd be off like a bloody flash!