Bike hooks

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited May 2013 in MTB general
I've got two bikes (road & mountain) and I was planning on putting a couple of hooks on the wall to reduce the amount of space they take up and to keep them safe.

I was think of the hooks which hold the bike vertical by the front wheel.

I'm not too worried about the road bike, but was a little worried about how well the mountain bike would cope with this.

My worries are the hydraulic fluid from the brakes or the forks leaking out if it is kept at that angle.

What do you reckon? Anything to worry about?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ime it is fine. Certainly for the brakes
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    Thanks for the reply, was worried about the forks as I'd heard it was bad to do maintenance with the bike upside down due to the possibility of the forks leaking, but I guess in reality they shouldn't.

I use the road bike more so the mtb is likely to be hung up for quite long periods.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    That's nonsense about the forks leaking. If it happens it means your fork seals need replacing. If anything I think it better to store the bike upside down as the fork oil will keep the wipers and seals well lubricated.
  • ckneller
    ckneller Posts: 22
    Hanging it vertically will be fine. There are a few brake sets which can be iffy if the bike is stored upside down though. There's a diaphragm within the reservoir in some which in theory shouldn't leak.... but can! Just keep and eye on it. I store mine as you're intending and I've never encountered any problems.