new headset for Carrera Vulcan ltd edition

nik_c
nik_c Posts: 61
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I need to get a new headset for my carrera vulcan (Halfords). But I need to confirm which ones I need to get. Are they integrated, internal, threadless? What size woudl the headset be? How / Where do I measure this?

I have no idea and don't want to get the wrong ones. I intend to have them fitted by my local bike shop, and will get a part that is an upgrade on the current one....

THank you for your advice!

NIk

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you need a new headset? Mine's seen some terrible things but with a bit of love it's running great 7 years on.

If you really need to know Supersonic posted a Cane Creek guide the other day
  • nik_c
    Hi thanks for the reply I will definitely look up the other post you mention.

I need to replace it as it has worn loose, the bearings must have worn down.
    There is pronounced forward and backward movement of the handlebar, fork and wheel assembly against the frame and the steering is gritty to say the least.

You can also see on the photo I have attached that the headset (and stem, etc) sit at an angle against the frame.

Tighting the centre screw in the stem has aleviated the issues somewhat, but not solved it. So I need to replace it because I don't want to start damaging the tube.

Thank you
    Nik
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I can't see any attached photos but it sounds like it just needs adjusting but without intending to be rude I'd suggest taking it to a decent local bike shop and have them look at it as if it does need replacing you won't be able to do it.
  • nik_c
    I have attached the image now. thaks.
    I woud not replace it myself. that is for sure.
  • Chunkers1980
    So take it in and see if it can Be fixed, nothing to lose. You're not going to ruin anything but the headset.

If you buy elsewhere, they'll charge more to fit it than if you bought if from them I'd imagine
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your frame takes a 'zero stack' otherwise called 'semi-integrated'.

I have a spare original fit one going cheap if you're interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Neal_ wrote:
    I'd suggest taking it to a decent local bike shop and have them look at it as if it does need replacing you won't be able to do it.

Why not?
  • Chunkers1980
    Because you seem to have a very simple service and adjustment issue, yet we're not sure
  • nik_c
    OK, I will do an adjustmetn first. Good guide video here: http://www.canecreek.com/tech-center/he ... ice-videos.

HAve been to Halfords to double check what head set I would need if indeed it needs replacing: it is an Aheadset 1 1/8 Nr 11 (according to the guy there - cannot find a reference to the number 11 though, maybe a label used only by Halford or their OEM(?) supplier).

Thanks!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    FSA no.11.

As the Beginner has said, it's a zero stack semi integrated headset.

But it does sound like the headset just needs serviced. Forks off, clean everything up, check bearings, replace if necessary, grease up and preload correctly. Variety of guides around from Park Tools, Sheldon Brown and YouTube. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, about £15 should get you it serviced.
  • The Rookie
    Yes.....not sure why you are asking though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nik_c
    dropped the bike off at bikeshop and after a quick check the chap just said - "that'll be anew headset".

so they are doing all teh measuring and fitting, and will source cane creek headset that fits.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Call me suprised.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Yes.....not sure why you are asking though!

Just whipped the forks out of my Kraken (same headset as in his picture) while fitting a new stem and the bottom bearing feels gritty (despite having covered very few miles - guess it's not a very well sealed unit).
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    It is possible. The bearings are non serviceable and non replaceable and without proper sealing. My bike has similar setup and bottom bearing is almost dead after a year. The only way to deal with it is to replace headset and use one with replaceable bearings.
  • The Rookie
    I have the OE headset from my Kraken frame in my commuter still, they are pretty sturdy beasts as my Kraken looked like it had been stored in a ditch when I bought it (just for the frame, the fork stanchions had rusted right through) it's now done 2500 miles of trouble free service...I do have an OE fit one in good condition going spare...

Nik_c what was the sympton of failure you had with the headset? Like CD I am suspicious that your LBS just saw £ signs....no need to measure it, which headset it is is obvious to a blind man....
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Having just serviced a headset on a carrera Vulcan for a mate, I can confirm its not the best sealed headset in the world. Though that does mean you can get into it to service it easily.

It's a pain having to remove the cups to get to the bearings though, which was true of the one I serviced. Loose ball bearings are a bit of a headache too! Compared to a bearing race, etc.

Whilst you could just keep servicing, I don't think an upgraded headset would be money wasted! If it is an upgrade that is.
  • Kowalski675
    Uli wrote:
    It is possible. The bearings are non serviceable and non replaceable and without proper sealing. My bike has similar setup and bottom bearing is almost dead after a year. The only way to deal with it is to replace headset and use one with replaceable bearings.

Aye, looking at it while I had the forks out it was obviously a very cheap bit of kit. With the forks back in and everything reassembled the steering feels fine and there's no play in the headset (with the adjustment slack enough for the forks to fall from centre to full lock under their own weight) or notchiness, even after 15 miles of very unskilled hacking round Gisburn this afternoon, but when turning the bearing by hand it felt pretty gritty. I'll keep an eye on it, but for the sake of just over £20 for that anodised Superstar headset I won't bother fannying about servicing the OE one, I'd just replace it - simple enough job and a lot better long term prospect (plus I rather like that orange anodising, lol, so maybe I'd add a splash of colour...)
  • The Rookie
    It's not 'very cheap' it's much better than the loose balls used by (for example) GT on their mid range hardtails at the same time.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    It's not 'very cheap' it's much better than the loose balls used by (for example) GT on their mid range hardtails at the same time.

The one I serviced on a 2012 Vulcan was loose ball bearings!.... Honestly.
  • The Rookie
    Downgrade from the older ones then which use a semi-cartridge design...as in the photo in the first post where you can read the end of the semi-cartridge bit!
  • nik_c
    Hi,

The bike shop I am using has closed a branch in my town (must be over the winter) and is now still operating 2 more in Ware and Hertford.

I am not using Halfords in my town as the staff there give me the impression that they are too in-experienced to really know what they are doing. I am not using the only other bike shop in my town becasue quite frankly do not graps the 'new economic' situation that bike shops and frankly the rest fo the world - find themselves: there are web shops that allow the 'customer' (i.e. me) to shop around for components, make themselves knowledgable to whatever degree we like, and then make a very well infomed choice as to what next step we want to take with our bikes (televisions, instruments, computers, - whatever).

If a shop makes its customer (again, myself) responsible for not being able to suvive and even goes as far as levelling thinly vailed sarcastic comments against them for asking them adivce - I am out of there, and a lot of others probably will be pissed off at that kind of 'customer-service'

Maby of you guys will probably understand what I am talking about, as I reckon you are either 'heavy use' customers or work in bike shops yourself.

We are ALL customers in on e way or anyother and that is a difficult time for a 'shop' everywhere and no matter what they are selling, and anyone wanting to sell anything in a shop has to have a business model that works. And incresingly more often than not that must invovle mre than just selling bikes and doing maintenance.

And it does not work to villify your customers as 'they' will always be able to sniff out the best value for THEM (be it in monetary sense or other!).

So back to my head set. I am leaving it to the shop for this time - just to see what they come up with. I am sure I could hav looked a little further, confrirmed (or taken) the measurements, and bought a fitting one (Thank you to all of you for all your help on this issue!)

Nik
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If its any use im echoing what the guys have all said ive the same headset had some excess play which was sorted tightening it up but that highlighted the grindy worn bearings.
    Easy enough on these to pop them out replace and grease took me a little while mainly chasing the old grease out the casing but its done and cant say ive had any problems since
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nik_c wrote:
    Hi,

The bike shop I am using has closed a branch in my town (must be over the winter) and is now still operating 2 more in Ware and Hertford.

I am not using Halfords in my town as the staff there give me the impression that they are too in-experienced to really know what they are doing. I am not using the only other bike shop in my town becasue quite frankly do not graps the 'new economic' situation that bike shops and frankly the rest fo the world - find themselves: there are web shops that allow the 'customer' (i.e. me) to shop around for components, make themselves knowledgable to whatever degree we like, and then make a very well infomed choice as to what next step we want to take with our bikes (televisions, instruments, computers, - whatever).

If a shop makes its customer (again, myself) responsible for not being able to suvive and even goes as far as levelling thinly vailed sarcastic comments against them for asking them adivce - I am out of there, and a lot of others probably will be pissed off at that kind of 'customer-service'

Maby of you guys will probably understand what I am talking about, as I reckon you are either 'heavy use' customers or work in bike shops yourself.

We are ALL customers in on e way or anyother and that is a difficult time for a 'shop' everywhere and no matter what they are selling, and anyone wanting to sell anything in a shop has to have a business model that works. And incresingly more often than not that must invovle mre than just selling bikes and doing maintenance.

And it does not work to villify your customers as 'they' will always be able to sniff out the best value for THEM (be it in monetary sense or other!).

So back to my head set. I am leaving it to the shop for this time - just to see what they come up with. I am sure I could hav looked a little further, confrirmed (or taken) the measurements, and bought a fitting one (Thank you to all of you for all your help on this issue!)

Nik
    Huh?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nik_c
    Huh?

Ahem, that was prompted by the post about someone in the bikeshop seemingly having had £ signs in their eyes ....

Ignore if you like ....

NIk