Canyon ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

De Canch
De Canch Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and want to present myself, i'm a 30 year old belgium guy.
I've been cycling for te last 15 years, with the last 5 years with a road bike.
First a picture of my first road bike:
Ridley Icarus
Shimano 105 compact
Dura Ache WH 7850 C24-CL wheelset with Conti GP4000s
att90569.jpg

But after 5 years it was time for a change, as i wanted a goodlooking lightweight climbing bike.
Also wanted Sram Red as groupset, because of the lightweight, looks and wanted to try something else than shimano
and as i don't like the shifters of Campagnolo, So it would be Sram Red
I'm going to participate at the Marmotte this year.
And finally i had to choose between Cannondale Supersix Evo red and Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL.

After making the comparison i went for the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL
Ordered it in begin december and recieved week 19 as delivering date. week 19 came and recieved an email from canyon that there was a delay, after 3 weeks i recieved an email with the UPS tracking :D

So thursday this week i recieved a package from canyon with the bike in.
I also choose the new VCLS 2.0 seatpost for a little extra comfort.

Here is a picture of it after the first ride.

att24155.jpg

A small review after my first ride of 80 km's, the combination of the carbon frame, R-sys SLR wheels and VCLS 2.0 seatpost makes it a very stiff but comfortable bike. The moment you let the legs work you immediately feel the acceleration. Will do 500 km next week, that will give me a better image of the bike.
But lightweight it is!!! total weight with Keo 2 Max Carbon pedals is 6,2kg for a Large model

Some modifications that are already been done, and some that needs to be done.
- Changed the Sram Red crank from 172,5mm to 177,5mm (have a inseam of 91cm and i'm 1,81m so long legs)
To do's
-Tune Quick release because the mavic's are like boat anchors
- Rotor QXL rings from the moment they are available in 52/36 combo
- Alligator I-link red brake and shift cable set
- Berk saddle ( he is making a new saddle and i'm very intrested in it. will save about 100gram)
- For next season there will also be a set of high wheels don't know yet (Mavic CXR 60, Zipp 404, Enve 3.4, Reynolds 46 or make a wheelset with Chinees aero rims and DT SWISS hubs)

Hope you liked it.

Comments

• bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Love both of them, look nicely and aggressively set up.

Do you wash themin the hot tub? :D
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I saw the Ridley and was like this:

Not+Bad+well+played+sir+and+totally+100+True+_ccf297831cffdc7fd22839e45028512a.jpg

Then I saw the Canyon:

OMG_Face_Dude-28bkwpg.PNG

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Wow stunning bike you have there sir and looks nicely set up too. Enjoy the cobbles!
  • De Canch
    Thanks,

the aggressive look is a nice extra. and i'm really in love with the stealth look together with the red accents on the frame that have the same color as the red accents on the SRAM RED.
    The sun is shinning today so, I will stop a bit earlier with working so i can make some extra kms on it.

The ridley will get a fresh up, will be painted in another color and will get the Sram Force 2x10 groupset.
  • Really really nice, why did you go for the Canyon over the Evo though?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lovestheclimb
    lovestheclimb Posts: 483
    Nice Bike, looks good in a big size!
    I do very much like that seatpost, looks very classy.

Regarding the upgrades:
    I'd go for the Enve 3.4's, I've got a pair and they are astonishing wheels.
    I have ridden Reynolds and zipps and had a pair of mavics not the cxr 60 but similar.
    enves are good they have a 35mm front and 45mm rear, which really makes them an easy choice for every route (i found)
  • De Canch
    The pro's for the cannondale evo where.
    - it's cannondale and is know to be very good, love ther lefty suspension, hollowgram cranks
    - the evo is a lightweight frame that has a lot of good reviews
    The downside on the evo where the wheelset for a bike of this price class you can accept a high end wheelset not a 350 euro wheelset. and also it is BB30 but they don't put the lightweight SRAM RED BB30 crank in, why??? because it is lighter then there beautiful hollowgram.

When i first saw the pictures of the canyon ultimate cf slx on eurobike 2012 i was very intrested in the specifics of it.
    The moment i had the detailed list with SRAM RED it was completely what i wanted, maybe one downside is that it isn't bb30 frame, that would make it a little bit lighter. but i'm happy with the weight that it has now.

will get it under 6 kg.

Today i had a longer an more up tempo spin on it, the handling is razor sharpe when turning it into corners it just cuts the corners nicely and fast. i'm looking forward on taking it to the Alps to see how it performs on the high speed descents.
    One strange thing that i noticed is that because i'm now sitting more towards the bracket i'm using other muscles in my legs.
    Although the wheels aren't aero they are fast in acceleration! noticed it on some sprints. but keeping the wheels up speed isn't as easy as with aero wheels that you feel but i noticed it from 40km/u and higher.
    But they are very stiff , the bike in total is very stiff you feel it when climbing out of the saddle, totally no deflection .
    One downside on the wheels is the noise they make when braking but normally that will go away after 500km, lets hope so!!!

This weekend i will be riding the La chouffe classic of 165km with about 3000 altitude meters so that will be a better test.
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    looks amazing.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    8) 8) 8)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    just emailed Canyon to ask what the approx delivery date is for one of these, off the back of this thread
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    lovely bike mate...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Crozza wrote:
    just emailed Canyon to ask what the approx delivery date is for one of these, off the back of this thread

Do let us know :)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ShinSplint wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Do let us know :)

sold out until October, at which point you can order. Have asked them how long from October - this year's models have only just been delivered but this was the first year, so we'll see what they say
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Lovely bike you have there. Be careful with the Rotor rings on the new SRAM cranks, the crankarm bolt makes some non-SRAM chainring installations tricky - I saw a guy with "praxis" rings who had to rotate the big ring 180 Degrees (hence the timing of the shift ramps was off and there was no peg to stop the chain fouling the crank outer) to get everything to fit, for example. Also the ring thicknesses need to be the same as the SRAM red ones.
    Long and generally misinformed thread here, but some things to consider :
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 0&start=60

Also as part of SRAM Red 22 they are APPARENTLY releasing a 52-36 combination for your 10spd 2012 crankset...
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    DrWally wrote:
    looks amazing.

although I'm still wondering why you would need a climbing bike in belgium :) edit: I see now, the marmotte, valid reason ;)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Tape on the Ridley... :shock: 8)
  • Very, very, very nice bike!!!!!!

Can you say what size this is (I think size L) and what youre height and saddle height is?