Bike storage - in the cold

slindborg
slindborg Posts: 98
edited May 2013 in MTB general
So with the impending arrival of something new for me, I will most likely have to turf out a bike from the shed... I plan to build a water/windproof shelter for it in the garden (secure) but will it being exposed to more cold than I. The shed be a problem? Its a simple hardtail with bog spec bits on it.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, it's a bike. Save for the very extremes, dry is all it needs.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You'll probably get more rusting on poorly or non anodised parts like bolts due to the damp getting in.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah just because you make the walls of the storage building waterproof, doesn't mean the bike won't get wet.

Every morning once the temperature reaches dewpoint you'll get water droplets form all over the bike as the building won't be heated. Not a problem, but like mentioned, bolt heads etc may rust.
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    Yeah just because you make the walls of the storage building waterproof, doesn't mean the bike won't get wet.

Every morning once the temperature reaches dewpoint you'll get water droplets form all over the bike as the building won't be heated. Not a problem, but like mentioned, bolt heads etc may rust.

Fully aware of dew point etc.

Bolt heads are already lightly corroded so that's all good.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Rebas hate the cold. When its below about 6 degrees celcius I noticeably need to add more air, if its been kept outside (which I don't do now).
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Mine are kept outside all the time: Swedish winter down to -30ish. Sheltered from rain and snow, etc, but never noticed anything being particularly affected by the cold apart from forks. The one thing to do is make sure your gear cables are well sealed.