Which brakes for rain/wet conditions

nurglespuss
nurglespuss Posts: 43
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've not been biking long, and, recently (amazingly for the UK) had to ride in my first downpour.

I had a bit of an incident approaching a cycle gate, where the brakes, well, did nothing.

They are standard V brakes that came with the bike years ago.

After a chat with a biker friend, I would like to upgrade these brakes, but, with limited knowledge, I have no idea what type to get!

Most of my riding is on the cycle track, with a few off road sections, and a return on urban roads.

What mite you guys recommend, that's affordable/effective?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are sticking with V's look for Avid Single Digit or Shimano XT's, with Koolstop or some other decent pads.
    But all rim brakes will suffer in bad conditions. Try ice and snow for a bit of fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nurglespuss
    I see :) yes I like the V brakes as they seem quite powerful/simple ;p

will have a browse now!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are fine in the dry and not the wet, better pads will help, but at the end of the day the rims get wet and that means you will do about 1.7m (one wheel rotation) while you dry the rims before they do much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Yep, new pads are the best way to go about it, but having the parallel push V brake levers are supposedly meant to give you more power as they do not work in an "arch" motion like standard V brakes, but they are constantly kept horizontal by the device on XTs. If you know what i mean.

Have a look at "kool stop" they sell pads (or pad inserts if you wish) with different compounds meant for different or all weather conditions, and pads with different sorts of threads and contours in them to displace water better.
  • nurglespuss
    Thanks for the great advice guys!

With your help I'm gradually getting to know how the bike works :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What make and model of brakes have you currently got on the bike?

A decent set of pads can make a huge difference and is a lot cheaper than buying a new set of brakes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nurglespuss
    Hi there, I've currently got the Tektro brakes that came with the bike (a bit like the M730 they make now).

I'm deffo thinking of going with new pads now!

Rather taken with these:

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=33&sortname=Brake+Pads&sort=1&fid=4
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I recently changed the pads on my wife's bike's V brakes to these, and the stopping power is immense.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... ucts_id=96

Haven't used them in wet conditions yet, but the diagonal grooves should do a good job of shedding the water from your rims quickly
  • nurglespuss
    OOOHH these look good!! thank you :D