btwin fit 5 or boardman hybrid race?

plutus
plutus Posts: 14
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'd like to have your opinion between these two bikes....seems very close but I can't really decide (boardman is 50€ less, btwin is carbon fork, sora, etc)
Concerning the boardman I'm making ref to the non-uk version (sram x4, 700x28, etc).

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_race.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-b ... 39798.html

I'm looking for a sport-commuter bike, so the ride will be equipped with a rack and mud guards

thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Fit 5 is the better equipped, and lighter - but check with Decathlon about mudguard and rack fittings.
  • plutus
    thanks for helping. Apparently it's possible to mount mudguards but there are no fixes for the rack...
    My concern about the btwin are related to the tires..is 700x23 too thin for a commuter use? The website give no information about the supported size...
  • supersonic
    Preference really, larger size can offer more comfort - I know many who use even thinner!
  • plutus
    I'll try to ride the btwin in that case.

Concerning the Boardman, what are the non optimal specs (considering also that's about 15% cheaper than the btwin)?

Are there better bikes in this price range?
  • supersonic
    These are the best bikes of their type in this range - the ever fluctuating Halfords prices means that the Race varies a lot, it was £530, so if is less than the Fit 5 at £380 then is a substantial saving.

However the Fit 5 is still some 4.5 lbs lighter, and sports a carbon fork which often offers more comfort. rest of the parts performance wise are similar.
  • plutus
    thanks for your answer!

one last detail...the Boardman is the NON-UK version (sram x4, triple butted frame)....I can't figure out if this version is better (or not) than the uk version...

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_race.html

btwin is sold at 380£ (459€), the Race at 340£ (400€)
  • supersonic
    The Shimano gearing on the Fit 5 is smoother and lighter shifting than the SRAM. No doubt in my mind which is the better bike here.
  • plutus
    I see.... and what about spending something extra for this one?

http://www.tool-velo.com/exs-fitness-co ... ZoIBpXv0Sc

I can get it for 480£ (but it's a bit more than what I'd want to spend)
  • matt@theforce
    matt@theforce Posts: 647
    I bought the Forme5 (old model of the Fit5). I've had it for just over 1 year now and guessing the clearance between the tyres/forks is the same, if so I've only found the Crud RoadRacer 2's fit over the standard 23c tyres.

I've commuted on it over the last year, no matter what the weather. I would have prefered to run 25c/28c tyres but the standard tyres have been perfectly fine. I've done close to 2500miles now (only use it on my 2 day shifts) and ride approx 34miles per day.

The only issues I've had in that time are a few spokes coming loose in the rear wheel causing it to go out of shape. This was rectified by Decathlon with no expense :) .

Other than that I've gone through x2 chains/3 pairs of brake blocks/1 rear derailiur (snapped due to a broken SRAM power link). Thats the joys of cycling in & around the Peak District in terrible weather, it takes its toll on the components no matter what the quality.

Matthew
  • plutus
    thanks a lot for your help!

what is the max tyre size that you can use with thos mud guards? and can you fit a rack?

I'm still hesitating as the boardman is equipped with 28 tyres and can be easily equipped with MG/rack...but it's for sure a lower value (though at 400€ it's quite interesting)
  • matt@theforce
    Looking at the eyelets on my bike (see link in signature) it looks like it should take a rack although I havent tried. The max tyre size with mudguards are 23c. I fitted some 25c Marathon Plus soon after buying the bike as it allowed me to cycle down various Trans Pennine Trails (they aren't tarmac out where I live) but it was physically impossible to fit mudguards with those tyres on.

There are plenty of pics in my Forme5 link in my signature, Hopefully they will give you a little more insight. A picture paints a thousand words.

I would still check the Fit5 as they may have changed the tyre clearance and the eyelets since the Forme5.

Matthew
  • plutus
    thanks a lot for your kindness...

now I'm struggling if it's worth spending an extra 100€ for Tiagra and, more generally, better specs (but similar weight, 569€ instead of 459 dor the btwin)

http://www.exsbikes.com/pages/exs-bikes ... at=1&det=0
  • matt@theforce
    That is entirely upto you. I'm happy with how the Sora Mech's/Tiagra shifters have performed, although I did have Deore shifters on 1st and they too performed really well.

The way I look at it, if using for commuting its likely to get knocked around/covered in road crap in the bad weather therefore the cheaper the components are to replace the better (if something goes wrong)
  • plutus
    I was quite convinced going to the btwin but...the Boardman Hybrid Comp is now 25% off...it costs 70$ more than the btwin but offers sram x5 and more "commuter-friendly" specs: 28c tires, rack/mud guards ready, disk brakes (not essentials in my opinion) and 400g more in weight

...getting quite confused!!
  • matt@theforce
    Now you've narrowed down your search, forget the specs and go and test ride them. Then pick the one that feels right for you. Thats what I'm in the process of doing now, just waiting for my 2 bikes to come into stock then test ride away :)