Ordinary or light tubes

izumi
izumi Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
How does a tube weight affect the sturdiness of a tyre? I have Schwalbe Smart Sam 2.25 tyres with light Impac AV14 tubes (about 120g each). Is there any sense in installing ordinary tubes instead (about 200g each) or will I just increase the weight of my bike?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does nothing to the tyre.

why would you want to change?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • izumi
    Thanks for clarifying that. I got a puncture a week ago, I thought that maybe thickier tubes can make tyres more resistant to punctures.

By the way, I have a related question. How long can I keep a tyre with a small puncture from a sharp stone? Will this puncture get bigger with the passage of time?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends how big and where.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    izumi wrote:
    Thanks for clarifying that. I got a puncture a week ago, I thought that maybe thickier tubes can make tyres more resistant to punctures.

By the way, I have a related question. How long can I keep a tyre with a small puncture from a sharp stone? Will this puncture get bigger with the passage of time?
    A hole in th tyre has little relevance to anything. It is the tube that holds the air in.

And maybe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    In my experience, a thorn or nail can go through a normal tube very easily. So fitting lighter tubes should make no difference. Pinch flats may be different but since I’ve never had one I can’t say. I’m actually planning to install extra light tubes which save almost 100g per wheel and also install sealant, which will add up to 50g per wheel. Result is a lighter wheel with puncture prevention.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • izumi
    In my experience, a thorn or nail can go through a normal tube very easily. So fitting lighter tubes should make no difference.
    Ok, thanks!