My inbred training/winter (but really pub/work) bike

leythervegas
leythervegas Posts: 191
edited September 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Got this to use for work and pub but sort of getting attached to it a bit so taking it to rivington pike at the weekend to see how it goes. I'm aiming for a middle ish spec as its a back up to my carbon 456 but that took a battering on the daily commute through the winter so this will be my workhorse. Really impressed with how the steel frame rides so far and the single speed setup is really easy to maintain and I love the simplicity of how it looks. Not too bothered about weight but was surprised that it came in at around 24.7lb, thought it would have been more.

6bda0e824fd85736de493d64c90acdd9_zpsd7149daa.jpg

Spec is :-

- inbred18" frame
- onone carbon forks
- onone reetard wheels
- onone smorgasbord tyres
- funn 710mm bars
- nukeproof electron pedals
- avid juicy 3 brakes
- truvativ firex cranks
- 34 tooth front ring - soon to be replaced with an onone 32 tooth cnc ring
- onone twelfty post
- onone bignose saddle

Comments

• Jay Morgan
    Jay Morgan Posts: 7
    Nice back-up bike! Also love the clean lines...and the steel. Have fun at Rivington
  • burglarboycie
    burglarboycie Posts: 200
    I really like it!! One of the nicest I've seen.
    Might build something similar myself (on a budget, my Whippet has cost me a fortune) as a winter bike.
    Enjoy it
    James
  • leythervegas
    Cheers, I've got a couple of parts arriving this week. The new stainless steel onone front ring and some polished aluminium genesis cranks. Also a new bottom bracket is now on its way as there's a bit of creaking going on.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice bike, heres mine

18" fame
    XT crankset
    Deore M555 brakes
    Mavic front wheel and home made back wheel built from an XT hub and a Mavic rim

8801070411_ae7e25e126_c.jpg
    976529_10200316899060231_841281367_o by fastmongrel, on Flickr

Just weighed it with the luggage scales and it comes out at 25 pounds dead on.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • leythervegas
    That looks superb mate, nearly got it in red myself. How you finding the singlespeed?
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Love it!
  • stubs
    That looks superb mate, nearly got it in red myself. How you finding the singlespeed?

Love it got a selection of front and rear cogs. Currently its on a 36/14 because round my way its as flat as last nights beer. When I want to grunt up some hills the 32/18 gear goes on but dont do that too often because I am worried about the old knees exploding. So easy to look after its done a winter and had the chain off once to de grease and relube and thats it, chains a bit gritty at the mo so could do with a clean but it just runs and runs. :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    But secretly you both think Inbred's are utter g4sh right because.....they are? Great pub bike because you would only be upset about the missing wheels and components if it got stolen. I had a very old white one and I loathed and detested it - no one ever nicked it even in central london with a chewing gum chain - I didn't know bike theives were so picky.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • leythervegas
    I disagree. I don't think it's utter gash otherwise I wouldn't have bought it would i? And I certainly wouldn't be on here showing a picture of it. I've not rode mine enough to give a detailed review but it certainly feels great on the local trails on my commute. What didn't you like about yours?
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    I think it looks lovely
  • leythervegas
    Cheers shdaxner, just realised Paul's from Canada so his statement is instantly de credited! (Only joking)
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    But secretly you both think Inbred's are utter g4sh right because.....they are? Great pub bike because you would only be upset about the missing wheels and components if it got stolen. I had a very old white one and I loathed and detested it - no one ever nicked it even in central london with a chewing gum chain - I didn't know bike theives were so picky.

What??? These are nice bikes, the only thing im not sure about is the top tube being lower than the seat stay, but thats me just being picky.

Your bike is very unlikely to be stolen in Central London...there are waaaay too many people (most of which minding their own business and stuff, not looking for bikes to rob) Try locking an on one up in North London with a chewing gum lock...you wont ever see it again.

OP, how does that bike fair offroad with the rigid fork? Looks lovely, i like the simpleness of it :) No gears or suspension, just get on and ride!
  • leythervegas
    I've not really used it properly off road yet GT. Only canal paths and round the local lake. Going to find out more tomorrow when i try her at Rivington Pike. Should be interesting!
  • leythervegas
    cf75c0acf9b6cc24e476580b574f0fcb_zps3ea44afd.jpg

Well first proper ride out today, headed out with a mate round rivington pike. (Highly recommended) hard work up those hills, struggled to keep up with my pal on his scandal with gears and a plush fox fork but still highly impressed with absolutely everything about my inbred. The carbon forks make the front end so light and manoeuvreable and the frame feels absolutely brilliant. As I get fitter the hills shouldn't be as much if a problem but going to fit a 32 tooth ring soon and maybe 18 cog at the back so that should help.
  • stubs
    Nice one, hope your knees havent suffered from that 34t gear. Obviously you didnt actually ride the bike offroad because as everyone on the web knows rigid singlespeed bikes cant be ridden offroad and if you tried the world as we know it would end.
  • leythervegas
    Ha ha that's true, suppose the worlds going to end then pal as it was very good off road. Would love to try it at a trail centre such as whinlatter but will always use my c456 for rides like that. Probably.
  • burglarboycie
    burglarboycie Posts: 200
    Looking good!!
    I really like this bike! If ever you fancy selling ;-)
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it
    James
  • leythervegas
    cheers James, don't think i'll be selling for a while but you never know.
  • leythervegas
    Had a lovely commute today, set off early to have ride round the local lake which was in good form, still as a millpond. Got some chrome chainset parts ( pedals, cranks and front ring) I'm thinking of fitting in place of the current black. Not sure if it'll look better or not, I'm in two minds.

a85c7be4f5fffe870252d8a45d2d9bca_zps1845361b.jpg
  • stubs
    Mine currently has 1.75 slick commuting tyres on pumped up to about 55 psi. Went for a ride last night off road and couldnt be bothered to fit a proper front tyre first. My wrists got a battering I have ridden that bit around a hundred times but didnt realise there was so many potholes and bumps :lol:
  • leythervegas
    I've also ordered some onone foam grips as I get the sore wrists problem too. I'll let you know if it improves it stubs.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    HI fellas - just saw this thread again and vaguely remembered posting something inflammatory on it. I apologise (slightly) for the tone of my earlier comments I may have had a drink or two but I did have an older model Inbred and I loathed it.

I bought it dirty cheap second hand off a friend in my club - had good spec kit on it from a few years back (at the time) but despite that I could never get on with it off road and very quickly went back to my other bike. Good thing about it was it could be fitted with a rack, I chucked a rigid fork on it and used it for commuting but I found it heavy, horrible geometry, always felt like the front wheel was tucking under even with suspension adjusted rigid forks on and I generally did not enjoy it. Ended up lending it to a mate for about 18 months and he rode everywhere on it (had no other transport) and even rode a few off road jaunts with us on slicks and rigid, he had no other transport so tolerated it but basically treated it as a skip bike and I was happy for him to do that. Ended up selling it for half what I paid for it and was glad to be shot of it except when I had to take my much beloved proper bike on the commute and worried about it being locked up in london all day!

Best of luck with yours, if you love em all power to you - rip it up!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rode this to football last night with leythervegas, first time riding a singlespeed and was a good dip of the toe as i'm about halfway though a singlespeed build myself.

It's a classy looking bike and rides really smooth, i absolutely love it.
  • leythervegas
    Well stubs, been riding for a week with the foam grips and they've definitely made a difference. A little may be down to me getting used to riding rigid forks but its much easier on the wrists. You should give it a go pal, its a relatively cheap upgrade at a tenner, here's a link....

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on ... foam_grips
  • stubs
    Dont normally get battered wrists but I just never bothered to fit the off road tyre. I dropped the air pressure on the front 1.75 commuter tyre but if I dropped the pressure to give my wrists a bit of protection it felt like the tyre was rolling off the rim so it was get battered wrists on that ride or lose the front end. Might try those grips anyway though the BoB On grips are well worn and need replacing.
  • Well after not getting much use out of this bike I've decided to put her up for sale. It really is in very good condition and rides like a dream. Dont really know what these go for so will listen to sensible offers.
  • 8881b5dcbc5118793363eac0ede82ef5_zpsabf20332.jpg

Here's a recent picture. Spec is the same except I've upgraded the tyres to kenda small block 8s. Pm me for more details if interested.