Maybe not the right section but.. Motor homes and holidays

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Been looking into a summer holiday for the family this year but thinking about doing something different to the usual flight, hotel etc. I have been toying with the idea of borrowing a motor home, taking a couple of bikes and heading off to France (Brittany mainly).

Has anyone done this or frequently do this? looking for a bit of advice on ferry crossings, routes and recommended sites if possible. The wife is coming round to the idea but her main argument is a two week holiday in Greece would cost the same without all the travel time. I suppose if I could find a way to add a night or two in Paris that could help sway her too :wink:

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ask Dirk Hoffman :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    without all the travel time

It's not the destination that matters. It's the change of scene.
    Brian Eno
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    imagewpa.jpg

What's not to like about the idea :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Might be best in the Tour and Expedition section...

Your wife is right, taking a motorhome to Europe isn't particularly cheap, especially if you want to get to some warm places where the wife can sunbath while you cycle (or both cycle together).

Ferry's are pretty cheap, we usually pay around £70 return for 4 people in a 6.2m motorhome with either DFDS or P&O. But, tolls in France while they are worth it, soon add up.

I would still say to do it, its an awesome experience! And you get a real sense of adventure.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    if you are planning to do the western long crossings via brittany ferries, i think you will find that the ferry crossings are NOT particularly cheap!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Found brittany ferries to be pretty expensive but there seem to be cheaper options from different ports. Not sure which crossing to take yet as swmbo has now started looking at sites on the south of france so i suppose thats a step in the right direction.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Bit different but i have just got back from driving my dads winnebago from san fransisco to boston right across america. I thought it will be a bit "campy" and i dont like that and i cannot stand tupperware and all that get up. I couldnt have been more wrong. Its great, and i can say if i had a camper or a bus its a great way to go see things, fantastic concept, i was spoilt as i never picked the bills up and it wasnt cheap (9 litre petrol v8) for 5230 miles in two weeks but amazing experience. If i didnt live on an island i would have one. Ive driven through france many times and they seem well organised for it, but i think id go have a look at italy. If you can new england in the states was fantastic, im looking into moving there in a few years if i can. I loved it.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Mikey23 wrote:
    if you are planning to do the western long crossings via brittany ferries, i think you will find that the ferry crossings are NOT particularly cheap!
    Yeah I was talking about channel ferries. It always works out cheaper to take those with the fuel and toll road costs if you want to get down South. French roads are relatively pleasant to drive on, so an 8-10hr drive is more doable than in the UK I would say.

We are taking the motorhome over to Switzerland and Germany in a few weeks time! Can't wait!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....