Funny thing happened on the way home.....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Last night I crossed Waterloo Bridge and then rounded the IMAX roundabout as usual. I usually take the bridge as fast as I can - get those legs burning and always whisk past a selection of nodders.

After the roundabout I had slowed for all the traffic around Waterloo Station and a guy on (I think) a nice looking Bianchi came up alongside me and asked "how's the Ribble?" my commuter is the Ribble Audax, he continued "I was thinking about getting one, it must be good, you were speeding away from me back there...." No mate! It's the engine not the bike, no disrespect, you're a bit flabby and you're wearing jeans... I didn't actually say that to him, but I was thinking it!

Why do people assume that if you're able to cycle relatively quickly, it must be down to the bike? I remember the same thing used to happen a few years back when I got into photography, when I showed people my half decent photos (there were some crap ones too that I didn't show them!) and the response was generally, "you must have a good camera" - 'scuse me but the camera doesn't hold itself up, frame the photo and choose the right moment to press the shutter!
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Because it is "All about the bike" :wink:
    And possibly the vast quantities of EPO too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I think you miss the point HH. Alarm bells in your head should be ringing 'Stalker!'
  • Headhuunter
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    But he was on a nice looking Bianchi, I think he out-biked me!
  • Headhuunter
    edited May 2013
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I don't take EPO!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A guy on a decent Road bike turned up the same lane as me on my Hybrid, we both stepped up the pace a bit, after a bit he says 'are we racing', 'No' say I 'I'm just getting home' (I have rack and panniers weighing about 5Kg), OK says he as he then steps up the pace again, I keep with him until we are both motoring over the next mile, as we approach the next junction he comments ' You can go quite fast on that thing' - that thing - cough splutter..... I thanked him politely anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Headhuunter
    kelsen wrote:
    I think you miss the point HH. Alarm bells in your head should be ringing 'Stalker!'
    Ooh perhaps he'd seen me before and had been plucking up the courage to speak to the hero on the Ribble.... 8)
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389

Why do people assume that if you're able to cycle relatively quickly, it must be down to the bike?

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJjbnrdjjw&safe=active

I love zipping across that bridge and roundabout too*

*I'm not stalking you. Promise!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ride hard wrote:

Why do people assume that if you're able to cycle relatively quickly, it must be down to the bike?

WTF is that first link on the right????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    Probably a tri-antelope.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Ride hard wrote:

Trust you.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    That's why I like my bike, it's not new and it's alu, I don't race but when my lungs and legs work I'm no slouch
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Paul E wrote:
    That's why I like my bike, it's not new and it's alu, I don't race but when my lungs and legs work I'm no slouch
    You need a faster bike...
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Ride hard wrote:

Ooooooo matron!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Don't write that, DDD might see it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Everyone knows that speed is down to colour of the bike. Pink adds at least 2mph.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Everyone knows that speed is down to colour of the bike. Pink adds at least 2mph.

totally red is always faster
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

How fast is a blue bike?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

How fast is a blue bike?

well at night red and blue are identical so i guess nighttime is the right time for you :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

How fast is a blue bike?

well at night red and blue are identical so i guess nighttime is the right time for you :lol:

So I'll be even faster when the nights draw in again and I'm commuting in the dark? Interesting...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Multiplier of Road bike speed chart:

*Disclaimer* this chart does not determine the overall speed of you and your bike but determines how much speed the bike could potentially add.

The numerical value (i.e. +1) is equal to the amount of mph of the same number.

Colour of bike
    Green = -1 physical multiplier, 0 mental multiplier and -2 male, +2 female gender bonus
    Blue = 0 physical multiplier, 0 mental multiplier and +1 male, -2 female gender bonus
    Silver = 0 physical multiplier, 0 mental multiplier and +2 neutral gender bonus
    Red = +2 physical multiplier, +1 mental multiplier and +3 male, +4 female gender bonus
    Black = +3 physical multiplier, +3 mental multiplier and +3 male, +5 female gender bonus
    Pink = +3 physical multiplier, +5 mental multiplier, + 3 male, -1 female gender bonus

[Multi coloured bikes are determined by the most predominant colour]

Material used to build the bike
    Carbon = -2 material penalty, +4 physical multiplier, +1 mental multiplier and +1 male, +3 female gender bonus
    Alu = 0 material penalty, +1 physical multiplier, +2 mental multiplier and 0 male and female gender bonus
    Steel = +2 material penalty, +2 physical multiplier, +3 mental multiplier and +1 male, +3 female gender bonus
    Titanium = +1 material bonus, +3 physical multiplier, +1 mental multiplier and +2 male, +3 female gender bonus

Web-only bikes (i.e. Ribble, Focus, Cube) = +3 gamble bonus, +1 physical multiplier, +1 mental multiplier and +2 male, + 2 female gender bonus
    LBS and Mass Produced = - 2 predictable penalty, +2 physical multiplier, +1 mental multiplier and +3 male and female gender bonus

Giant = -2 mass production penalty, -2 Cycling Plus favouritism penalty, +3 build quality and durability bonus
    American bikes (Trek and Specialized) = -1 mass production penalty, +1 build quality and durability bonus
    Bikes with Italian names = +5 Sex appeal bonus +3 female gender bonus, -1 build quality and durability bonus
    German Bikes = + 4 build quality and durability bonus

Them's the rules, I don't make them I just live by them.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    DonDaddyD wrote:

*Disclaimer* this chart does not determine the overall speed of you and your bike but determines how much speed the bike could potentially add.

Colour of bike
    Various colours

Celeste?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • cyclingprop
    lastant wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Colour of bike
    Various colours

Celeste?

White?
  • cyclingprop
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

How fast is a blue bike?

Actually it depends on which direction the bike is travelling relative to the observer: http://physics.about.com/od/lightoptics/a/doplight.htm