Canyon Ultimate CF

CoutinhoRed
CoutinhoRed Posts: 67
edited May 2013 in Your road bikes
Hi, new to this so I thought an ideal way of introducing myself is to show you my bike.
Its a Canyon Ultimate CF with Campagnolo Chorus 11.

Innocent as ever:

35davs9.jpg

Lovely chain snap on fourth time of using it:

24bw3ue.jpg

No I wasn't in a high gear ascending up a hill. Have pictures of components and where the chain failed. Lovely..

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That looks like blood! :shock:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • CoutinhoRed
    edited May 2013
    declan1 wrote:

I came off :-(
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Chain snapped and you hit the teeth on the chainset?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    declan1 wrote:

I came off :-(

Ouch. Hope you're ok!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • CoutinhoRed
    Chain snapped and you hit the teeth on the chainset?

Not that bad! Chain snapped on the downstroke of the right pedal, so it propelled me off into the surface of very harsh tarmac (I was out of the saddle). I would upload a picture of my knee, but I don't think anyone would want to see it.

I'll upload more pictures of damage

316rp13.jpg

And there we have it. Cosmetic damage to the handles, shifters, and frame, but complete damage to the rear derailleur. That is the consequence, but I have to question as to why the chain failed on me under such little tension. Previously owning other road bikes with thousands of miles worth of cycling, I have never experienced a snapped chain. So why on my fourth use?

Canyon are as helpful as ever..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Chains are like that. What chain is it and where did it fail?
  • If you didn't join the campag chain with the specific joining pin, that'll be why it snapped. I had exactly the same thing happen as I didn't use the specific pin.
  • CoutinhoRed
    It was a normal link that failed and not the power link. Have spoke with Canyon and they seem helpful enough, although they are diverting the problem to campagnolo as it is their chain that failed.
  • Mr Ass
    Mr Ass Posts: 2
    The chain on my canyon snapped after less than 100 miles, luckily it didn't send me off my bike and i'd only just left the house so i didn't have far to walk back, turns out one of the links had splayed, not the quick link either. Quite surprised they referred you back to Campag though, they sent me a new one out straight away, although i do have a KMC chain on mine.
  • CoutinhoRed
    Yes same here. My link just splayed open. Canyon have not responded since I sent them photos of the damage this morning. There is warranty on components for two years and 6 years for frame. If it does not get resolved then I will avoid canyon in the future. A good bike is one sold by a company that will take responsibility for any faulty products they sell.

BTW the teenage woman behind me in a car was less than a metre from running me over. It was a narrow road which opens up after 100meters. She thought it would be sensible to drive straight behind me until the road opened up.

I'm disappointed in what has happened
  • hairyleg
    hairyleg Posts: 134
    You do have rights,Sounds like faulty goods or not fit for purpose.
    have a read on the links below.
    Good luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/c ... downl.html
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... s-exchange
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9