2008 Specialized Epic Build

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
2008 Specialized Epic.... just got it delivered today.

Really chuffed with the price, frame is immaculate and it has full documentation from TFTuned from a rear shock service in December just gone.

Looking forward to building it up!

20130521_175732_zpsd94cc89c.jpg

20130521_175750_zps04fbaecc.jpg

20130521_175803_zps8ec0c508.jpg

It will be my xc machine to replace the Rock Lobster, unfortunately its just too small for me.

Hoping the forks from the RL will fit, but then again I'm looking at a set of Sid RCT3's which might go nicer to be honest.

All the other kit from the RL will be being transferred acrros asap!

Comments

• PM'd you...
    Forks don't fit, never mind :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rock Lobster moves on again haha! Everyone always gets their money back on it though!
  • hehe... haven't decided if its going yet! Fits the mrs pretty well and I'm building up a pretty good parts bin haha
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Woah woah woah, the missus? THE MISSUS?

I'm pretty sure it's my turn now (for the lobster I mean, not your missus, although.......)

Make with the selling already!
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Look forward to seeing the Spesh build up Ben.

Oh and, I would love the RL, but suspect I'd be in a rather large queue lol. Your missus is lucky - make sure you get a few bath nights in payment for it.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Lol... asked the mrs, she didn't answer... so its in the classifeds now!

Cheers, can't wait! Hope the forks turn up before the weekend so I can give it a blast.
    Interested to see how the "brain" works... it'll be 1 more brain than usual thats for sure lol.
  • 20130522_212020_zps827e4f05.jpg

20130522_212056_zps96c44f2b.jpg

Put together to try for size, feels nice!
    Got some dual air Reba's on the way, the marzocchi's and my old rebas are for sale in the classifieds!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    looking good mate :D
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Hmmmmmm.... Looks like it'll be fast!
  • Thats only because its red... once I'm on it, it'll be slow :lol:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Looks nice mate! Followed one of these round my local loop on Sunday! Don't recall ever seeing one before, and now I've seen two in a week!

Frame is interesting!.... Will watch this thread!
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Looks great. I like that shade of red. Never seen a FS with the shock down there before, quite cool.
  • Reba's arrived... went for 2012 RL versions with dual air an Moco adjustment.

Not cut the steerer yet, but a few pics...

20130525_193944_zps7cfaeaa4.jpg

20130525_194236_zpsa17e9676.jpg

And one of the brain/rear end...

20130525_194518_zps5e514619.jpg

Really can't wait to get this out, having to wait till payday before I can finish it off :(
  • Got my payslip today which essentially means its payday.. so ordered the last few bits to get the drivetrain sorted... I forgot how much the little bits add up!

Then a trip to the LBS to get the brake cable lengthened and its ready to ride!
  • Gears and a brake sorted, off to get the other one sorted now!

20130601_131005_zps1b3db8a5.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    White headset spacers are a no from me, and it needs some proper pedals!
  • Yeah I dont like the spacers either, but theyre from the spare parts bin. Black ones need to be ordered!!!

And nout wrong with B52's, good light and grippy! Dont use SPD's!!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've just fitted some B-54s and they're grippy as a grippy thing .
  • njee20
    Aye, but giant flats on an XC race bike look silly, and that's what really matters!
  • Hmmm but if you saw the ride on this xc "race" bike, you'd understand :lol:
  • 20130603_192910-1_zps4c988c02.jpg

Done and ridden!
    Feels great, really easy to get out of the saddle as there is loads of cockpit room.
    Climbs like a goat and is a quick decender too!
    Will have to get used to the rear shock, thought I had a puncture a few times but it was the shock going from HT to FS lol.
    Its just a shame you cant adjust the brain while on the move!
  • njee20
    It's got the Spesh AFR brain not the Fox one that one hasn't it? They were a huge improvement, never really liked the early Fox ones, but the Spesh ones were great.
  • Yep thats the one, has like 25 notches of adjustment on the brain so deciding on a compramise will be difficult, but I've olnly been on 1 ride so far... seems to work well though!

Can't believe RS droped the dual air from their forks, the 2012 dual air on this as so much more dialled than the 2013 solo air!
  • njee20
    I always just ran all of mine somewhere in the middle frankly!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    20130603_192910-1_zps4c988c02.jpg

Done and ridden!
    Feels great, really easy to get out of the saddle as there is loads of cockpit room.
    Climbs like a goat and is a quick decender too!
    Will have to get used to the rear shock, thought I had a puncture a few times but it was the shock going from HT to FS lol.
    Its just a shame you cant adjust the brain while on the move!

I know that photo. it is near Tongwynlais/Castell Coch.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • njee20 wrote:
    I always just ran all of mine somewhere in the middle frankly!

Cheers for this advice fella, ran it bang in the middle and it was suuuuuuuperb!

And yup, Castle Coch!
  • njee20
    Aye, like so many of these adjustments 25% at either extreme is pretty useless!
  • All ready for tomorrow.
    20130608_175456_zps3a4f0d16.jpg
  • Been getting some good mileage in on this in preparation for the CCC2CC (see sig). Its proving to be a superb frame for a long ride and it climbs like an absolute beast!

The rear shock is great, does exactly what it says on the tin. There is an occasional transfer feeling between the on/off of the brain - usually when sitting and pedalling over small repetitive rocks and where the threshold is teetering between on/off which can be a bit off putting.
    Just need a tad more pressure in the fork, running 30% sag (ish) atm I think.

I was considering selling this once the CCC2CC ride is done, but I'm tempted to keep it for a while longer and kit it out in XT gear.... not sure yet, but it seems like a perfect bike to just get out on!