Gear and Brake cables

FishFish
FishFish Posts: 2,152
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Are these just commodity items or are more expensive ones 'better'?
...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Go for stainless steel and you can't go wrong. Inner and outer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jay Morgan
    Jay Morgan Posts: 7
    As with most bike parts - and indeed bikes themselves, more expensive often equals better quality, although that in turn doesn't necessarily equal a better buy or a necessity for everyone. Sluggish gear changes can be down to cables rather than issues with mechs, but do you need Teflon coated cables (indeed, do sluggish gear changes matter to you)? I certainly think cables need as much consideration and attention as any other part, but whether you well-lube stainless ones, or use Teflon (or other) coated cables, is a matter of personal preference/budget.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Forget coated. Shimano SP41 outers, bought by the metre, and (Shimano)(any) stainless inner are a perfect combo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Thanks for the advice folks - I'd thought that cables were more important than they appear to be - good tips here.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once a cable is 'good enough' any better is no advantage.

I use coated cables as both my bikes have BB routed cables and I believe the teflon coated ones carry less muck into the outer, supported by not having had to replace (or do anything else) to either bikes cables in 2 years, of course plain stainless may have been as good, but for the minimal cost I think I'll stick with (Jagwire) coated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.