Rear Shifting Issue (7 Speed Alivio)

aserota
aserota Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am fixing a friends Specialized Globe he bought from Gumtree, which has turned out to be a bit of a lemon. Everything is now running nicely except for the rear shifting. When shifting down the shifter doesn't seem to let go of the slack or make any positive clicking sound and the numbers on the shifter do not move. After a while the slack in the cable will be released and the rear derailleur will shift down a few gears, however out of the 7 gears only 2/3 seem accessible.

The rear derailleur seems to be fully functional and if you manually tension the cable it shifts as expected, which points to the shifter being the problem. Can anyone confirm this 100% ? If so, I will be looking for a shifter with intergrated brake lever (as I'm a roadie and am clueless with MTB parts) which cheap shifter replacement is recommended?

Rear Derailleur (new cables have been installed):
photo34.jpg

Front Shifter:
photo33.jpg

Bike is the old version of this:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Glo ... tAodok8A7w

Many thanks

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,577
    Have you checked the cable? I had a similar issue on my mountain bike last week that turned out to be a frayed cable within the body of the shifter.
  • aserota
    monkimark wrote:
    Have you checked the cable? I had a similar issue on my mountain bike last week that turned out to be a frayed cable within the body of the shifter.

Yes, replaced the inner cable and there seems to be no problem there
  • aserota
    I'm tempted to get a new pair of shifters for circa £20 and fit these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-EZ-FI ... 27d2a34176
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds about right - they look a bit old and the ratchets get messed up. Opening up and giving a clean and a lube might help, but otherwise new ones would be the option. If the left one is still OK you could probably find a right hand one for next to nothing on Ebay or Retrobike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools