Are Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres slippery?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I wonder if anyone could help me.

I was thinking about swapping the own-brand Wilier tyres on my bike with some Rubino Pro tyres, but I've heard such mixed things.

Some people say that these tyres are slippery - dangerously so - and talk of coming off as a result once the tread has worn slightly.

Others say they have great grip.

Equally, some (like Bike Radar, who reviewed them) say that these tyres are prone to punctures, but almost every consumer review everywhere else tells of how they've had them for 1000s of miles without a single puncture.

I appreciate there's no definitive answer, but I'm put off buying them on the basis that they lack grip.

Does anyone use them and do you have any experience/comments?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    in my experience they are neither slippery nor prone to punctures.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    why not get new tyres, but not rubinos?
    there are a lot out there.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    It's Vittoria Corsa tyres that some say are slippy - although I've just ridden a really fast and wet sportive hitting 47mph on the descents and I never once felt the wheels slip.

I use Rubino Pro's in 23mm for my winter tyre and they've been faultless. They've still got at least another winter in them.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Cycling Plus has a tyre supertest in this month's issue. The Rubino Pro won it out of 12 contenders I think. Just bought some myself.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Some people say that these tyres are slippery - dangerously so - and talk of coming off as a result once the tread has worn slightly.

Others say they have great grip.

Equally, some (like Bike Radar, who reviewed them) say that these tyres are prone to punctures, but almost every consumer review everywhere else tells of how they've had them for 1000s of miles without a single puncture.

I appreciate there's no definitive answer, but I'm put off buying them on the basis that they lack grip.

So are you a crit racer? If not you may be overstating your needs for a "grippy" tire. In reality this forum is the worst place to ask about tires because you'll get every answer in the book. Half will love the tire, the other hafl not. Half will say it's very grippy and the other half, well,.... Unless you're a racer or someone who doesn't know how to corner or someone who likes to go downhill faster than good sense would dictate I think you're making more of the issue than there is.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Used them for the first half of the winter and they were faultless, these were replaced with conti 4 seasons and there's squat difference between the two in the wet.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    used 4 sets of Rubino Pro tyres in the past. Nothing wrong with them. Good value training tyres in my opinion
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    No and no, excellent tyres.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    I'd imagine the idea that they are slippery comes from someone who used them, fell off, and wanted something to blame other than themselves.
    I'm 100% certain they are fine.
  • sporttourer
    sporttourer Posts: 60
    2500 miles - still going strong only one puncture. Ride on them on my "winter/commuter" tricross (700 x 25mm) in all weathers and on some very poor country roads. One or two small nicks but the sidewalls are fine. Only time I get any slipping is on steep uphills when I am standing up & pedaling hard, which isn't any wonder really as no weight over back wheel.
    Bought some Continental GP 4 seasons about 6 months ago as they were on offer - but yet to fit them.
  • stepdavi
    stepdavi Posts: 135
    I've had them for about 4 months had about 3 puntures but not slippy. I like them.
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • danmitch
    danmitch Posts: 47
    I used them in 700x28c for a while last Summer, nice tyre in my experience. Not at all puncture prone and whilst they are not as grippy in the wet as Marathon Supreme or GP4000s, they weren't bad.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Slippery as hell for the first few hundred miles, fantastic since then.

They had a lot of coating on the tyre, some people recommend rubbing all new tyres down with sandpaper or washing with white vinegar to remove it when new.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rubino Pros are great tyres for the money. They grip well and most importantly they feel lively. They have also got decen puncture resistance. They are decent in the wet although I wouldn't do very tight cornering with them in wet conditions. The Slick version feels even faster, is a bit lighter than the normal version but its less gripier in the wet. I rFor £17 or £18 they are a good deal.

If you want a grippier tyre the Continental GP4000S is lighter, grips even better and feels even a bit more livier than the Rubino Pro but you have to pay around £50 for a pair. They only come in black too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra