Fulcrum Racing Quattro CX Clincher Wheelset - Thoughts

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
So in a nut shell has anyone got Fulcrum Racing Quattro CX Clincher Wheelset?

Would love to know what your thoughts are... They would be put on a bike that i use for training and club rides..

Comments

• Churchill123
    I've just realised these are country cross wheels... i'd be looking at the non cx version..

Im 6ft 2 around 95kg rugby player and want to make sure they can handle my muscular psyche
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Only difference as far as I know is that the CX version has better sealed bearings. They look decent enough and get well reviewed but I'm sure someone will come along in a mo and say you need handbuilts :)
  • Churchill123
    It would be my first wheel upgrade on my bike so i only want to spend around £300...
  • rider25
    rider25 Posts: 72
    I was in a similar situation(first upgrade) and recently got them from bike-discount at £218 delivered. Feel good so far and FWIW I'm a similar weight.
  • Churchill123
    rider25 wrote:
    I was in a similar situation(first upgrade) and recently got them from bike-discount at £218 delivered. Feel good so far and FWIW I'm a similar weight.

£218 WOW - Thats bloody good price, i've seen them on wiggle for around £270, looks like if i shop around i can get a better deal then :)
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I recently fitted the standard Quattro wheelset and whilst I could splurge the usual clichés associated with new wheel purchase I wont. First of all they look good and they seem spin well. I've put a couple of hundred miles on mine now and the only thing I can tell is they don't seem to drag as much as the RS10's they replaced.

There was a 250g difference in weight between the two sets (including, skewers and cassette) with the Quattro set coming in at 2120g (again including QR and cassette).

Don't forget to factor in other costs such as a new cassette and chain, new inner tubes (if your current valves are 45mm), time or cost to re-index your gears. I bought mine from Merlin who were offering an additional 10% from the normal price at the time.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My gf has these on her bike. They are a good all purpose training wheel and are very cheap to buy right now..
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Churchill123
    PaulMon wrote:
    I recently fitted the standard Quattro wheelset and whilst I could splurge the usual clichés associated with new wheel purchase I wont. First of all they look good and they seem spin well. I've put a couple of hundred miles on mine now and the only thing I can tell is they don't seem to drag as much as the RS10's they replaced.

There was a 250g difference in weight between the two sets (including, skewers and cassette) with the Quattro set coming in at 2120g (again including QR and cassette).

Don't forget to factor in other costs such as a new cassette and chain, new inner tubes (if your current valves are 45mm), time or cost to re-index your gears. I bought mine from Merlin who were offering an additional 10% from the normal price at the time.

New tubes yes, and i'd probably replace my tyres at same time as they are showing signs of wear, however why would i need a new cassette & chain?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    ...and why would the gears need re-indexing?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Sprool wrote:
    ...and why would the gears need re-indexing?

I'm only going from what I had to do two weeks ago. When I fitted the new wheel the shifting went from being slick to being pretty crap. I was given advice on here to adjust the rear derailleur which I did using the article on the Park Tool website and now everything is fine. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the additional spacer that has to be fitted. Although I did go from a 12-27 to a 11-25 so that may have contributed also.
    New tubes yes, and i'd probably replace my tyres at same time as they are showing signs of wear, however why would i need a new cassette & chain?

What are you going to do with the original wheels? If they are worth anything you could sell them but my guess is not so keep them as they are cassette included and then use them as spares/winter/whatever. Again common recommendations are to change the chain and cassette at the same time.

P
  • Churchill123
    Fair enough Paulmon i now see your logic! - Thanks :)