British Cycling membership

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
After a little advice

Wondering what level of membership I need if any. My bike insurance covers me for time trials and damage to my bike when im racing and public liability. However the only thing that im not covered for is public liability cover whilst racing.

Do I need to get it, the races im going to try are just round tracks, cat 4 (havent started yet, first one next Saturday)

Cheers

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I don't know of anyone who has insurance for racing.

What insurance provider do you use that covers you for damage to your bike while racing?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • andy83
    Velosure bike insurance. Very impressed with them and what they offer.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Buckles wrote:
    I don't know of anyone who has insurance for racing

I think most people do... it's the main thing that the race licence or day licence provides by British Cycling - I don't know how it's handled by a person racing on a foreign licence but I imagine they are covered. LVRC is similar and I imagine TLI too - I believe that's why it's not covered in any policies, because all the race promoters in the UK provide it.

CTT also cover you in a time trial if there's no-one else providing (such as British Cycling or CTC, or the OP's policy)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that BC insure your bike whilst you're racing. They don't.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    motd2k wrote:
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that BC insure your bike whilst you're racing. They don't.

They don't insure your person either while racing.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Also check the type of racing you are covered for, some policies only cover you for non bunch racing such as TT, hill climb and triathlon.

As far as membership goes, details are here:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/mem-st-Racing-Licence-Prices-0-Need-a-Racing-Licence--0

But in a nutshell, if you get silver membership you'll get a provisional race license and be able to do 'go-ride' events which are for cat4 but you don't get any points for them. If you want to enter races for points and go up the categories then you will need to buy a full race license which is an extra £34. Once you get past that first hurdle of cat4 to cat3 (10points) you will never go back down to cat4. With cat3 and above though you will need to score a set amount of points to earn the next category and then score minimum points each season to keep that category
  • andy83
    maryka wrote:
    motd2k wrote:

They don't insure your person either while racing.

My insurance cover my bike whilst racing so thats fine.

Doesnt the liability part cover your person whilst racing?
    gavbarron wrote:
    Also check the type of racing you are covered for, some policies only cover you for non bunch racing such as TT, hill climb and triathlon.

As far as membership goes, details are here:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/mem-st-Racing-Licence-Prices-0-Need-a-Racing-Licence--0

But in a nutshell, if you get silver membership you'll get a provisional race license and be able to do 'go-ride' events which are for cat4 but you don't get any points for them. If you want to enter races for points and go up the categories then you will need to buy a full race license which is an extra £34. Once you get past that first hurdle of cat4 to cat3 (10points) you will never go back down to cat4. With cat3 and above though you will need to score a set amount of points to earn the next category and then score minimum points each season to keep that category

Thanks for this.

I think what I will do is get the silver membership, see how I go on Saturday and then if I like it get a full race license. I think if I go first time and think I need points it could be dangerous, I need to just go and enjoy it and see if its for me.

Thanks
  • gavbarron
    andy83 wrote:

I think what I will do is get the silver membership, see how I go on Saturday and then if I like it get a full race license. I think if I go first time and think I need points it could be dangerous,

Thanks

That's the point of 'Go-ride' events, you can race if you have provisional license or full license as long as you have no points as its an intro to racing. No points are available at all so it sort of takes that pressure off. If you don't already go on club runs I'd do that too to get used to riding in a bunch. Group riding is a vital skill that is in rapid decline nowadays and I've been on club runs that verge on dangerous never mind races where you are rubbing knuckles at speed
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    andy83 wrote:
    Doesnt the liability part cover your person whilst racing?
    Yes, I meant basic BC membership (Bronze or Silver) and the associated insurance doesn't cover you while racing (and there's no member vs member liability -- someone knocks you off and injures you, you can't use the BC lawyers to get money out of them). It does cover you if you hit a car while racing so yes it does cover that kind of liability.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... nsurance-0

If you want personal accident insurance while racing, you need to be a Gold member.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... nsurance-0
  • andy83
    gavbarron wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

I think what I will do is get the silver membership, see how I go on Saturday and then if I like it get a full race license. I think if I go first time and think I need points it could be dangerous,

Thanks

That's the point of 'Go-ride' events, you can race if you have provisional license or full license as long as you have no points as its an intro to racing. No points are available at all so it sort of takes that pressure off. If you don't already go on club runs I'd do that too to get used to riding in a bunch. Group riding is a vital skill that is in rapid decline nowadays and I've been on club runs that verge on dangerous never mind races where you are rubbing knuckles at speed

Yea that was the plan. I do go on club rides and regularly ride with others so that shouldnt be too much of a problem, when I first started riding with others a few years ago I was all over the place, now I can ride talk eat and still stay in a line lol
  • gavbarron
    Another tip for preparation would be to get your club makes to talk like they've been racing premier calendar for years and then set off fast for the first half mile before jabbing at the brakes at speed, sitting up half way up a hill, shout "hold your line" whilst approaching a bend then fail to do it, leave a big gap to the next wheel, sit in the bunch for most the race and crash a lot, then on the final straight weave wildly all over the road whilst wrestling with the bike and thinking they look like Cav. Do all this regularly and you'll be ready for 4th cat racing
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    Don't forget to learn these lines too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM