Thread knackered on drive side crank

tricket
tricket Posts: 123
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Whilst trying to extract the drive side crank arm from the bottom bracket on my Spesh Hardrock, I've managed to strip the thread completely leaving me unable to remove the arm.

The opposite side came off fine but I managed to completely mess up the drive side and completely wrecked the thread meaning I can now no longer extract it in the correct manner with the appropriate tool (its a Suntour item with octalink).

Can anybody give me any advice on how to remove the crank arms now the thread is completely balls'd?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hacksaw or angle grinder. Or just go for a ride and there's a good chance it will loosen off enough on it's own.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Octalink isn't tapered and the arm should come off relatively easily, just use a hammer and a piece of wood, place the wood across under the BB shell with the end against the inside of the crank arm as close to the axle as possible and give it a few sharp taps...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.