Bike Insurance

Evil monkey
Evil monkey Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, if so apologies. I've bought myself a Scott sportser 50 for my daily commute and I'm looking to get insurance to cover the bike as well as public liability. The only thing is I bought the bike from a colleague so I have no receipt from new or proof of ownership. I'm assuming the insurance company in the event of a claim (I hope I never have to make) would need a receipt. Does anyone have any experience of insuring a used bike and what I would need to do to make sure I'm covered? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    You fill the frame numbers in and at worst you have to show them proof of what a replacement will cost?
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Ring a few and ask them directly. If they are willing, get it in writing as part of your policy.

Insurance companies are great when it comes to buying to a policy, especially off-the-shelf bike insurance i.e. enter value, here's your quote. When you need to claim on it, they suddenly really care about the extremely fine details.

I'm with BC and it's costing £80 per year and I needed to supply my frame number, age and value of the bike. I also must lock it using a Silver rated lock (I use Gold) I also use 2 other locks. One for the seat, One for the wheels.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Thanks for the replies, turns out I'm covered under my home insurance including public liability etc which is a bonus. They can't however give me a straight answer on proof of ownership. The bloke suggested taking the frame number and a photo of me riding the bike! I've got a sold secure silver D lock as well as my old D Lock and a 4ft long cable lock for the seat etc. the bike will also be in a locked bike shed at work which only 6 people have keys to, so fingers crossed no cheeky sod will steal it. Was more concerned about being covered against scratching someone's Merc at the lights!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Was more concerned about being covered against scratching someone's Merc at the lights!

CTC or British cycling membership gives you 10 million pounds public liability for that sort of thing
  • Just signed up with British cycling, £21 with discount....Bargain! At least I know I'm covered now.
  • "turns out I'm covered under my home insurance including public liability etc "

Have you asked the home insurance company what it covers? I spoke to mine today and whilst I have public liability its only within the house, ie if a slate falls off and hits someone standing at the door. It won't cover you when you're out on your bike.They said house insurance would never count for a bike accident with a looog explanation.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    They said house insurance would never count for a bike accident with a looog explanation.

Which insurer is that, and is it buildings or contents? Your buildings insurance will cover you for your liabilities as "owner of the property" which sounds like what you describe. Your contents insurance will typically cover you and your family for general personal liabilities, such as injuring someone by walking or cycling into them. Here's a typical clause:
    We will pay all amounts you, or any member of your family, become legally liable for as a result of living in your home, or for any other reason, as a result of
    a) accidental death of or bodily injury to any person; or
    b) accidental loss of or damage to property; caused during the period of insurance shown in the schedule

(liabilities arising from using motor vehicles are then explicitly excluded, but nothing about bicycles)
  • Contents insurance definitely covers me on the bike. To be doubly sure I joined British Cycling which covers you up to £10m or something silly like that and gives you various discounts. Sounds to me like you must just have buildings insurance?