Traffic Free near Maidenhead?

bighippy
bighippy Posts: 3
Hi,

I'm after some local knowledge from families who cycle round here if you have time to help me.

We recently moved down here and I'm trying to find somewhere safe to cycle with our Burley trailer and very young kids. We were spoiled before with the excellent traffic free red routes in Milton Keynes, Pitsford and Rutland water being a reasonable drive away.

Unfortunately, since being clipped by a RangeRover near Aylesbury in 2006 (didn't even stop) I don't want to go anywhwhere near roads, not even for a short distance. The drivers in this area are at best inattentive, at worst homicidal and country lanes seem worse than the A roads for high speed Audis clipping every apex.

I hear Windsor Great Park has some routes which we will make use of but there isn't anything long enough to work up a sweat on.

Is there anywhere in a sensible radius of here we can drive to, perhaps further west towards Newbury/Swindon? It seems odd to need to drive all the way up to MK.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Have you had a look at Swinley Forest yet (Bracknell)? When the new trail work is completed this week there will be a range of dedicated MTB trails, including a green family one, plus miles of fire roads to explore.

I'm not far from you and to be honest the area isn't well served with traffic free routes. Even the Sustrans routes take in country lanes.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • bighippy
    bighippy Posts: 3
    Thanks Othello,

I've been looking round (on maps, its cold :)) and there are a few routes locally for when we're all on bikes. I'll check out those fire-roads as they look suitable for a trailer, thank you for your help.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Hello Matt!

Back on topic, my sister lives up in Thame and has suggested the Phoenix Trail from Thame to Princes Risborough to me in the past (http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/m ... enix-trail). It's probably 20 to 30 minutes from Maidenhead depending which side you live.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    The Sustrans Route 4 takes you from Maidenhead to Reading and beyond on traffic free cycle tracks. You might want to check it out. I do it occasionally with my son.