New frame - I don't want the whole bike!

andyboyce
andyboyce Posts: 156
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a Specialized Roubaix that has been great for me, but I am looking for something a little more 'racey'.

I was hoping that I could just buy the frame and swap over my Ultegra components and Mavic wheels.

It seems though that the mainstream manufacturers, Spesh, Giant, Pinarello etc only sell really high end frames on their own £2k +

Is this correct ? I don't need a whole new bike, I already have a winter bike and really wanted to pay around the £1k mark for a descent frame.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    what about a van nicholas from fatbirds?
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/24468/product ... -2013.aspx
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Westbrook have some really nice frames at that pricepoint.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    I'm sure Evans had some cracking deals on some BMCs last time I looked, size is probably limited though.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Have a look in Planet x at the Guerciotti frames.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    What size ? And we'll tell you what we've seen.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Pound for pound the Canyon CF SLX (£1400 if you have a race licence) would be on the shortlist.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Pound for pound the Canyon CF SLX (£1400 if you have a race licence) would be on the shortlist.

Or the the Canyon Ultimate CF for closer to the £1000 target (and riding I bet you wouldn't notice the difference)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Ribble Cycles seem to do frames at a very reasonable cost.

I do have the same issue as you, I'd like to buy e.g. a Trek Madone 3 series frame, but you can't get them, only fully built bikes from £1,500. The cheapest frameset you can get is a 5-series at £2,000
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Coach H wrote:
    Pound for pound the Canyon CF SLX (£1400 if you have a race licence) would be on the shortlist.

Or the the Canyon Ultimate CF for closer to the £1000 target (and riding I bet you wouldn't notice the difference)

Or the Ultimate AL for that matter. Dolan sell a good carbon frameset for £399
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you're going to get a Canyon, therte's probably no point in buying just the frame. Just sell your bike and buy a whole new bike.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Grill wrote:
    Westbrook have some really nice frames at that pricepoint.

I used Westbrook for my CAAD10 frameset in April at about half your budget.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Hold on - loads of companies sell bike frames. This could be a 'very' long list! So it, I'll join in - Look or Kinesis....

Can't you get Specialized S works frames?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • andyboyce
    andyboyce Posts: 156
    passout wrote:
    Hold on - loads of companies sell bike frames. This could be a 'very' long list! So it, I'll join in - Look or Kinesis....

I cant find any Specialized S works frames for under £2k...happy if someone can find me a cheaper one !
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    passout wrote:

I didn't think they were 'that' much....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Seriously, you looked for an S-Works for under a grand !?!?!?
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    This years Giant TCR Advanced is £1500...

http://www.giant-shoreham.com/bikes.php ... nge=1&id=0