What puncture proof tyres?!

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I use Michelin Lithion 2 (25mm) and no flats yet running along rough roads and even a few cycle paths / canal tow paths. I really like them, they have decent grip in dry and wet.

Many say GP4000s are a better choice but I find the Michelins better for puncture resistance and grippier in the wet (comparing to friends who have the GP4000s so not scientific).

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Vittorio Rubinos are great - but only if you get Pro (150tpi). If you can find them for £12 they are likely to be the non Pro (60tpi). There is a night and day difference between the two. I got mine for £18 from Planet X though other places have a much wider choice of colours for a bit more.
    I really can't recommend them highly enough - I even prefer them to the Krylions they replaced.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Best anti-puncture road tyre? Schwalbe Durano Plus without question.

It's based on the Marathon Plus and the only thing going though it are nails and industrial staples. It does feel a bit dead and lifeless like it's make of wood and they weigh a ton, but if puncture protection is your priority then it's the tyre to have.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:

It's based on the Marathon Plus and the only thing going though it are nails and industrial staples. It does feel a bit dead and lifeless like it's make of wood and they weigh a ton, but if puncture protection is your priority then it's the tyre to have.

Better off going for the standard Durano IMO - still very good puncture protection and a lot lighter and nicer. Infact, I use Durano S for most of the year and they are pretty good. I did get a bit of wire right through the tyre the other day but there are a few scrapyardy areas on my commute so that's probably inevitable.

Of course, tyre maintenance is probably more important than choice of tyre up to a point anyway.

Worst tyre in the world except on a hire bike is the Marathon Plus! I'd rather drive than ride a bike on Marathon Plus!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bontrager hard cases if you're erring more towards pture protection rather than weight / speed.
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Better off going for the standard Durano IMO - still very good puncture protection and a lot lighter and nicer. Infact, I use Durano S for most of the year and they are pretty good. I did get a bit of wire right through the tyre the other day but there are a few scrapyardy areas on my commute so that's probably inevitable.

Of course, tyre maintenance is probably more important than choice of tyre up to a point anyway.

Worst tyre in the world except on a hire bike is the Marathon Plus! I'd rather drive than ride a bike on Marathon Plus!

I use standard Duranos for commuting and used to use Durano S on the weekender before I moved on to more exotic tyres. They are all great tyres with good levels of resistance with the Plus being hardcore, the standard being a balance of weight / protection and the S being more race focused but with decent protection.

I much prefer Schwalbes to the Continental equivalents, but I'm in the minority.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Marathon Plus are not that bad, I commute on them and go on winter rides and whilst they are wooden and heavy, they provide the best puncture protection available. I have been on rides where Durano Pluses have punctured, I still haven't punctured my Marathon Pluses after 2 years of intense use.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • asprilla
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Marathon Plus are not that bad, I commute on them and go on winter rides and whilst they are wooden and heavy, they provide the best puncture protection available. I have been on rides where Durano Pluses have punctured, I still haven't punctured my Marathon Pluses after 2 years of intense use.

The M+ is certainly much tougher, but then it weighs over 200g more for a 700x25c

I use M+ on my station hack and my kiddie carrier as I don't want to spend much time maintaining those bikes and I don't go very quick on them. My gripe with the M+ is that the rubber is very hard and I don't think you get a lot of grip when it's wet and cold.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gabriel959
    Not 200g but 130g. I know it is still quite a lot - 260g over two tyres!

The rubber is indeed hard and am definitely slower on them than on my SuperSix with GP4000s but the grip is not as bad as that. I was ridding them yesterday on hail and heavy rain on my way back and I did descend on them at over 30 mph and there was no trouble cornering. Granted you can't corner as aggressively as with GP4000s but there were ok.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • asprilla
    Unless I'm reading it wrong Schwalbe UK say 590g for a 25-622 M+ (http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon-plus/) and 380g for a 25-622 D+ (http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/road-race/durano-plus/).

That's 420g over a pair.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Continental Gatorskin Hardshell if you want REAL puncture proof. GP4S if you want tyres that don't puncture but aren't marketed as such.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • gabriel959
    Asprilla wrote:
    Unless I'm reading it wrong Schwalbe UK say 590g for a 25-622 M+ (http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon-plus/) and 380g for a 25-622 D+ (http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/road-race/durano-plus/).

That's 420g over a pair.

Oh, I was comparing it against the wire bead version of the Durano Plus which says 450g for a 700 x 25 c tyre.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... urano_plus

Here it reads that a 700 x 25c wire bead Marathon Plus is 580g

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... athon_plus

Of course, as you say, if you are comparing it against the folding version there is a lot more difference in weight!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • inrepose
    inrepose Posts: 4
    I have the Marathon from Schwalbe. They have never punctured with 3500miles 60% gravel trail.
  • asprilla
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's 420g over a pair.

Oh, I was comparing it against the wire bead version of the Durano Plus which says 450g for a 700 x 25 c tyre.

Of course, as you say, if you are comparing it against the folding version there is a lot more difference in weight!

I didn't even know there was a wire bead D+. Everyday is a school day. :)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    bontrager hard cases if you're erring more towards pture protection rather than weight / speed.
    +1 from me. You can often find them much cheaper than the Schwalbes too.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • gabriel959
    bontrager hard cases if you're erring more towards pture protection rather than weight / speed.

A friend of mine swears by them - Only £11.99 from Evans too! Might buy 2 for when my Marathon Pluses wear out!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rolf_f
    Asprilla wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's 420g over a pair.

I didn't even know there was a wire bead D+. Everyday is a school day. :)

I recall a wire beaded London edition of the Durano or Durano + which seem to be very disliked! Unless budget is critical, I think the fair comparison weight wise is with the folding Durano unless Schwalbe try to make a folding Marathin Plus though that's probably physically impossible!
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Asprilla wrote:

+1 Durano Plus (folding not cheaper wire bead version). They are quite heavy to roll up to speed... But not that bad and fine grip wise too. A filthy commuting winter has been and gone and not a single frozen finger side of the road moment with these I'm a convert. Having said that when they wear out the weight difference is tempting me to try the Rubino Pro
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I am new to road biking, bought a 2nd hand Giant defy 2 in November and bought 2 Vittoria Rubinos PROS for my new stead. Mine are the 700 x 25 pumped to 120psi.

Done about 500 miles since on really mucky winter roads in both wet and dry conditions - no issues at all with either grip or p*nctures. I am no pro rider but I can't fault them.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If you are a Vittoria fan, you really need to try the Open Corsa range. They grip really well and are a lovely supple ride.

I am a big GP4000S fan but my new Corsas are winning me over.

Both have good puncture proofing and I have yet to puncture despite riding some really sh1tty wet roads this spring. Plenty of people riding with me have punctured. On that basis, I rate them.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Stanley222 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

A friend of mine swears by them - Only £11.99 from Evans too! Might buy 2 for when my Marathon Pluses wear out!

They must be worth a go at that price!

From my own experience, rear tyre:
    Bontrager Hardcase 10000 miles, no punctures - retired due to being 6 years old.
    Conti GP4000s 3000 miles, 1 puncture.
    Michelin Lithion 2 3000 miles, 1 puncture
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I used to swear by Krylion carbons but after a couple of punctures decided on the Marathon plus 25c. Have to admit have had them on the work bike for 6 months now, ride 32 Kms per day 5 to 6 times a week and upto now no punctures and theres hardly any wear on the tyres. I know they are heavy and a bit slower than the krylions but i lose about 1Km/h and thats all. For work i just want reliability and dont care two hoots about the speed.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Rolf F wrote:

Personally after 8 years experience of winter riding in probably the wettest, coldest, windiest place on earth - North Yorkshire. I'd happily take knowing that I am not going to puncture than wondering if I might puncture in January miles from civilization, cold and tired, in the freezing rain.

And for winter who cares about speed imo a slower tyre = better training
  • rolf_f
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Personally after 8 years experience of winter riding in probably the wettest, coldest, windiest place on earth - North Yorkshire. I'd happily take knowing that I am not going to puncture than wondering if I might puncture in January miles from civilization, cold and tired, in the freezing rain.

Lol - but don't forget I have the same climate as you but with more scrap yards! Besides, the reason you are cold and tired is because you are riding a bike with Marathon Plus on it! :lol: Punctures are usually caused by user error or poor tyre maintenance IME. I did get a wire through my Durano this week which I suspect a Marathon Plus would have deflected but overall, the time to fix rare punctures like that is less than the time you lose riding a tyre like the Marathon Plus. And that puncture I fixed at the office.

It's not about the speed so much as the terrible feel a bike has with Marathon Plus on it - why not try a Durano or Durano Plus if you haven't already? Most of the protection but with 90% more feel and a lot less weight.
  • annoyingtwit
    annoyingtwit Posts: 127
    My previous bike came with Kenda tyres, and they seemed to have great traction, even with snow and ice around. When I switched to Marathon Plus tyres I went out and braked hard in icy conditions and immediately fell off. Afterwards, being more careful, I noted less grip than previously. My current bike has a Durano on the rear wheel, and it seems fine. I'm not a power cyclist who would really notice fine differences between tyres, but the marathon plus definitely had a shortage of grip in poor conditions.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,d agree with much of the above post. The Marathon Plus do not have very much grip compared to many other tyres,however if it,s just a puncture free ride you are looking for then it,s still the Marathon Plus.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Rolf F wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Lol - but don't forget I have the same climate as you but with more scrap yards! Besides, the reason you are cold and tired is because you are riding a bike with Marathon Plus on it! :lol: Punctures are usually caused by user error or poor tyre maintenance IME. I did get a wire through my Durano this week which I suspect a Marathon Plus would have deflected but overall, the time to fix rare punctures like that is less than the time you lose riding a tyre like the Marathon Plus. And that puncture I fixed at the office.

It's not about the speed so much as the terrible feel a bike has with Marathon Plus on it - why not try a Durano or Durano Plus if you haven't already? Most of the protection but with 90% more feel and a lot less weight.

Being in the middle of Dentdale in the rain and cold with the night drawing in is a bit different than being near Leeds. I've been there with frozen hands wrestling a tyre its frightening and dangerous. Its not an experience I ever want to repeat. In winter puncture protection > everything else.