Carbon tubulars

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I was browsing Ebay when I came across these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lew-carbon-tu ... 5d3ee2ec2b

Paul Lew used to build arguably the best carbon rims out there, before his company went bust a few years back.. I think he now works for Reynolds or Easton, can't remember... anyway, at Chinese price you can bring home something that on paper can be seriously spectacular... best hubs money can buy... the guy has immaculate feedback.. worth a punt for the carbon seekers?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My wheels were designed by Paul Lew and they look much prettier ;)

That is a bargain for somebody, but the lack of information on the page is annoying.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    Grill wrote:
    My wheels were designed by Paul Lew and they look much prettier ;)

That is a bargain for somebody, but the lack of information on the page is annoying.

That's why I opened this thread... they look to me as something worth in the region of 1500 as new, judging by the cost of Enve, Corima and the likes, which are on the same price point as these were.
    The brake track might not be as innovative as the latest Zipp, but the rest is top notch, at the price of a set of Carbonzone chinese rims built on taiwanese hubs (at the moment).
  • I'd like to see pics of the Roberts Columbus SLX he is selling also....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • £100 added to the start price as of 6 minutes ago, think you my have generated some interest :wink:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Damn I can not view ebay (blocked by work).

Can someone post the pics/details please?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Up to a handful of years ago carbon was not mainstream and only top builders were using them, while these days your next door neighbour has access to all sorts of junk carbon rims... so they must have some pedigree even in that respect
  • $T2eC16R,!)cE9s4PtHz-BRk39Nn3-w~~60_12.JPG

'lew carbon rims made in las vegas usa handbuilt wheels 24.24 tubular rims built onto dura ace titanium rear hub and white industries front sapim lazer spokes hidden nipples spokes never ridden since been re- built ,rear wheel weighs 890g front 590g combined 1480g ! come with dura ace q-rs and alloy casette lockring plus asst valve extenders'
  • ugo.santalucia
    C'mon Smidsy, they've got your name on... :mrgreen:
  • I thought the first advert said new, now says rebuilt.
    They are 40mm btw ;)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I thought the first advert said new, now says rebuilt.
    They are 40mm btw ;)

never ridden though. The advert is a bit rubbish - that is what is putting me off. Not that I was going to buy anyway!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think he means built...
    the fact the advert is rubbish means the price will be lower than if the advert was great... that's how you get bargains on ebay...
  • smidsy
    the fact the advert is rubbish means the price will be lower than if the advert was great... that's how you get bargains on ebay...

Unless someone keeps posting on furums telling everyone how great they are!!! :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:

Unless someone keeps posting on furums telling everyone how great they are!!! :lol:

How great they look... maybe there is a massive crack hidden in a rim not mentioned in the ad... :mrgreen:
  • gabriel959
    to be fair they look fantastic and would buy them if I was racing. At that price who wouldn't?!?
    They can't be a 24 24 though, may be 24 front, 28 rear.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • ugo.santalucia
    gabriel959 wrote:
    to be fair they look fantastic and would buy them if I was racing. At that price who wouldn't?!?
    They can't be a 24 24 though, may be 24 front, 28 rear.

The rear has 24 spokes... just counted them...
  • gabriel959
    with a dura ace hub? I didn't think they went that low.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • ugo.santalucia
    gabriel959 wrote:
    with a dura ace hub? I didn't think they went that low.

Yeah, they do... low spoke count hubs have always been looming, always difficult to get hold of... I just bought an old Mavic 501 24 holes rear, according to the brochure they only came as 28-36... but this is 24... hey ho...
  • The seller seems a bit grumpy, who does he post on here as?
  • smidsy
    How great they look... maybe there is a massive crack hidden in a rim not mentioned in the ad... :mrgreen:

Cheers Ugo, that should bring the price rocketing back down :P

As I can not view ebay how much are they?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kerching
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Seller said to me Harry Rowland built them and I'm also sure the original advert said built and not rebuilt too..hidden nipple thing put me off though.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • ugo.santalucia
    gaddster wrote:
    Seller said to me Harry Rowland built them and I'm also sure the original advert said built and not rebuilt too..hidden nipple thing put me off though.

Ask Harry Rowland which nipples he used... internal nipples are not the end of the world to true, just get a Park Tool three fit and you are on
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    It's not so much that ugo it's having to take the Tyre off should it need a little fiddle :-)
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • ugo.santalucia
    gaddster wrote:
    It's not so much that ugo it's having to take the Tyre off should it need a little fiddle :-)

Realistically they won't... I have seen Harry's wheels, they are built to the max tension the rim can take, they don't go out of true... nothing to spare with the Chinese butter builds
  • So, who's bidding and what will they max out at so this doesn't get silly :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    So, who's bidding and what will they max out at so this doesn't get silly :lol:

I might be grabbing them to take the rims for a personal job and maybe re sell the hubs, but realistically I won't bid... I need to buy some shoes to get married... and even a shirt