Tubeless help please

Marauderzzz
Marauderzzz Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Folks.

Really sorry for this probably being such a stupid question, but cant seem to find the answer.

I have Mavic Crosstrail rims bought on a new 2012 Canyon Bike. It has Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution tyres.

I know that the Rims are UST, and that the tyres are tubeless ready. Here is the question..

Can I just go straight ahead and install and inflate without the addition of anything at all? e.g. Sealant, rim tape etc.

I understand that the use of Rim tape is more for making a normal rim tubeless. Also that Sealant is used just for when you actually get a puncture, it will seal it, hence making it optional....

Am I right in these assumptions? Any advice greatfully received.

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I think you need UST tyres as well, if not you will need to add sealant
    If it were me I would use sealant anyway as it will hopefully stop you getting punctures
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If there are no spoke holes on the inside of the rim you do not need rim tape. Do you have the tubeless valves?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • If there are no spoke holes on the inside of the rim you do not need rim tape. Do you have the tubeless valves?

Thanks both for the replies.

Yes I did get the Tubeless valves in the box of bits that came with the new bike.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    camerauk wrote:
    I think you need UST tyres as well, if not you will need to add sealant
    If it were me I would use sealant anyway as it will hopefully stop you getting punctures
    Agreed, you won't stop puncures without the sealant.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    but if you just wanna see if everything works together just whack the valves in and inflate!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Both TLG and Felix are spot on. You can try the system without sealant just by putting the valves in place (assuming there AREN'T spoke holes, if there are then Stan's yellow rim tape or two or three layers of insulation tape will do it).

But for better sealing and then to protect against punctures you WILL need sealant. Otherwise what fills the hole in the tyre when it's punctured?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris