Need help picking out a commuting bike (first post)

yousefshantir
yousefshantir Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I have been commuting for about 3 months now on a hybrid (scott metrix 30) and I want to upgrade to a road bike and I'm not sure whether to go for a cyclo-cross bike, road bike or tourer, my round trip is around 30 miles to and from central london, I'm looking to spend around 1000 pounds. Just some info to help out, i'd like a nice blend of comfort and speed, also am a heavier guy, tipping the scales at around 16st! I've been looking around and have had the scott speedster 20, genesis croix de fer(?), canondale synapse 6, cube attempt and clivia prospect recommended to me, any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Specialized Secteur Sport Disc. Like a CX but more civilised with road gearing and endurance oriented frame. Think aggressive tourer with disc brakes rather than a typical CX which is more like a rigid 29er mtb with drops and skinny tyres. Pinnacle and White do good CXs around a grand.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I am also looking at the Specialized Secteur Sport Disc as my main bike (currently have a crosstail sports disk but wanting something faster).
    It seems pretty nice but on the border of weather or not to go full carbon or just carbon forks
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Cupras wrote:
    I am also looking at the Specialized Secteur Sport Disc as my main bike (currently have a crosstail sports disk but wanting something faster).
    It seems pretty nice but on the border of weather or not to go full carbon or just carbon forks
    These do look like excellent bikes. Would you really feel the benefits of a full carbon fork? I suppose it would be lighter by a few grams but what would be the main difference?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Cupras wrote:
    These do look like excellent bikes. Would you really feel the benefits of a full carbon fork? I suppose it would be lighter by a few grams but what would be the main difference?

No idea but when I have been looking the bikes have all had carbon forks apart from a few bikes I have seen on offer that are full carbon bikes.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Cupras wrote:

It takes a lot of the road buzz out and makes it more comfortable
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The Secteur is fast when I want it to. I was between it and a similarly priced full carbon, went with discs over weight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.