Rigoberto Uran Uran

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
edited May 2014 in Pro race
So Uran goes to bed tonight knowing that he is now the leader of the Sky team, is 2mins off the lead and has at his disposal one of the best teams in the race.

Does he have what it takes to win this race?

How do you think it will play out?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    On the subject of the climbing mulleted-one, an interview with him and his amigo Henao

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BinjR2caXOE
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Using the Spanish model for surnames, I'm having trouble not thinking that he's born of incest ...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does he have what it takes to win this race?

No.

I reckon he'll finish somewhere between 6 - 10'th place
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I reckon he'll have a bad day so will prob end up 4th or 5th. Nice video though- like Heneo's reaction when Uran said they could ride against each other
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    He was about a minute behind nibali in the TT can't see him taking much less in next weeks TT but he could take some time out Cadel - as long as he finishes ahead of Gesink :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    I think he will finish 3rd after Nibali and Evans
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'd go for 3rd. He'll probably lose a bit of time to both Nibz and Evans in the mountain TT. BUT if Evans starts to fall back under the burden of having the most useless team in terms of supporting, AND Uran remains consistent, he might be able to sneak 2nd.

Going to be tough to beat Nibz who is looking superb.

But then...illness can strike any of them, especially in this race...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd go for 3rd. He'll probably lose a bit of time to both Nibz and Evans in the mountain TT. BUT if Evans starts to fall back under the burden of having the most useless team in terms of supporting, AND Uran remains consistent, he might be able to sneak 2nd.

Nice to see you've moved on from Evans is past it to his team is useless :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    I said yesterday that the big disappointment was Henao's collapse.
    Until then, I would have said he was the better bet.

You would think, with so many +2000m climbs to come, (well, in theory at least) Sky's Colombians
    should be well suited to succeed.
    However, last year, both of them had a bad day in the high Giro mountains.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I'm hoping he'll move to another team next season, then I can start supporting him again like I did when he rode for Caisse d'Epargne and came 3rd in Lombardy. Unfortunately he went to THAT team so got crossed off the Christmas card list!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    So, Rigoberto is Sky's Plan B.

I hope he avoids illness and his predicted "one bad day". If he can do both of those things, he can potentially end up on the podium. He doesn't really have any pressure on him as Bradley Wiggins' problems certainly weren't in Sky's plans for this Giro. Anything further that he achieves in this race will probably be a bonus for Sky. He seems like a fairly laid-back character and that could stand to him in the final week. He also seems to be able to handle a lot of hardship, so the next 10 ten days will be very interesting.

A Colombian on a Grand Tour podium would be very fitting, given their impact on so many of this year's races.

DD.
  • tailwindhome
    So, Rigoberto is Sky's Plan B.

I think he may have been Plan C
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 14 May

Uran is highly rated climber and unlucky not to get jersey on Friday but he doesn't TT as well as other two. Henao, plan B so Uran plan C!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I like to see Uran finish on the podium I just think he's more likely to lose time to Evans and Especially Nibali in the mountains than gain time . Nibali seems to have got everything right and he is looking good
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    On the subject of the climbing mulleted-one, an interview with him and his amigo Henao

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BinjR2caXOE

Liked that vid RR, Henao looked almost tearful when Rigo said about racing against eachother - made me laugh!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I rate Uran and for me he's a definite threat - should never have been called back to help Wiggins earlier in the race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    Still think Evans will have a bad day or days in the mountains. I reckon Uran could get second but if there's illness in the Sky camp anything could happen!
  • rob churchill
    rob churchill Posts: 272
    Odds are against him, but... Cadel fades, Nibali crashes - who knows?

If he does win, he should definitely celebrate by putting Jane Fonda in a giant loony sex piano thing:

barb68milofonda-sa1.jpg
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pross wrote:
    Still think Evans will have a bad day or days in the mountains. I reckon Uran could get second but if there's illness in the Sky camp anything could happen!

Agree with this. Can see Evans having a bad day before Uran does.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    At least there's no more playing poker: clear leaders should make for some cracking battles in the mountains, weather permitting. Heavy snow showers are forecast tonight and for Saturday (with ground temperature barely above freezing) in the area of both of the weekend's stage finishes.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    He likes rain :lol::lol:

5087666962_6ed89ebd9e_b.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Rigoberto will win the Giro.

Sky will postal it up those mountains and destroy everyone.

Nibs himself could have a bad day.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    In terms of beating Nibali, no, it's not going to happen. Nibali looks in the condition of his life and his whole season has been focused on winning the Giro.

I think Henao would have probably been the better bet for getting 2nd or 3rd given there is so much steep climbing to come. That said, the final three days in the mountains look so tiring that it's impossible to predict how the likes of Evans, Scarponi, Santambrogio, Uran etc. will react. It's still up in the air.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Quite liked a inrng poster last year (please claim the credit if it was you)-

'His name is Rigo and he turns the pedals round'
    (to the tune of 'Rio')
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One can never discount the abilities of a rider who is out of contract at the end of the season. Always a good incentive to perform a little bit better. The last few years we've seen quite a few riders having particularly good seasons as their contracts were ending, only to be followed with mediocre performance. The most obvious example being Cobo.

Personally I just hope he doesn't get sick. Sky should have made sure the most unwell member of the team was at Nibali's side on every stage, always couging in his direction. That may be the only way to break his grip on the GC this year. Having said that, there are a lot of very tough mountains to come, combined with poor weather, so anything can happen. Unlike the Tour, the Giro has a good habit of throwing up surprises.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    emadden wrote:
    5087666962_6ed89ebd9e_b.jpg

Do you think he has fitted his ratchet straps the wrong way round (and upside down) as a superstitious thing? A too dumb to do it right thing? Or a doesn't pay attention to such trivial details?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It's so when he has to thank the sposors he can look down and quickly know who they are. It's the same reason a lot of footballers pull on their shirts when they score a goal, so they know which fans to run towards.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tailwindhome
    Love that photo.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Love that photo.

Existential. It's the pools of blood in his eye sockets: this rider "supports the conditions". Would love to see him avoid a bad day and make the podium. And, with a more than decent supporting cast freed from nursing Wiggo, maybe he can have a go.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Macaloon wrote:
    Existential. It's the pools of blood in his eye sockets: this rider "supports the conditions".

Or needs some of these...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-clear-l ... ecs/95382#
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    prawny wrote:
    It's the same reason a lot of footballers pull on their shirts when they score a goal, so they know which fans to run towards.

:lol: love it
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.