Odd Down Circuit in Bath

weenyd
weenyd Posts: 21
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
The brand new cycle circuit in Bath has now got some Tuesday night races organised for it. It's a 1.5km circuit, with a couple of hairpins, a slight climb, and quite often the wind blows up there, so we're expecting to see some great racing.
http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/sport-leisure-and-parks/health-and-fitness/ride-bnes/odd-down-cycle-track

Click the link below for details of the races:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?search_type=upcomingevents&keywords&resultsperpage=30&series_id&fromdate=07%2F05%2F2013&todate&series_only=0&online_entry_only=0&distance=2&postcode=ba2

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Heard a rumour that there were going to be some 2/3 crits...but BC shows e/1/2 so guess not :(
  • weenyd
    Bath CC are organising 5 Tuesday night events at the moment, and 4 of them have 3/4 races and the 9th July race will have a 3rd cat only race.

We're trying to keep it straightforward whilst everyone's still finding their feet. Is there a demand for 2/3 races, or 3 cat only, or are people generally happy with the 34, E123 format?
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    weenyd wrote:
    Bath CC are organising 5 Tuesday night events at the moment, and 4 of them have 3/4 races and the 9th July race will have a 3rd cat only race.

We're trying to keep it straightforward whilst everyone's still finding their feet. Is there a demand for 2/3 races, or 3 cat only, or are people generally happy with the 34, E123 format?

4th cat only races are needed. i dont understand how its fair for a 4th cats to be thrown into a race with 3rd cats who will soon be 2nd cats are in.

should be e,1,2, 3rd and 4th. if not rode separately then at least scored separately.
  • DavidJB
    Should be 2/3 races for sure. I want them I'm sure a lot of other 2nd cat riders also want them. There is a distinct lack of them.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    organisers tend to go with what gets the most entries - I know I do ;)
  • The argument for a 4ths only race is non sensical. At every level there will be riders waiting to step up. Your banding then leaves Cat 2's to get a kicking off Elites / Cat 1's. If you want 4 only races so you can progress (which it sounds like from the comments) then you will be racing with the 3's soon enough anyway..... If anything 3/4 will be the closest matched banding.

There is no format that will suit everybody. If the demand is there then split it out, this won't happen if the weather is rubbish.

My personal feeling as that its great that this facility now exists but it is a shame that they wont run in conjunction with the Vicky Park Crits this year, that was an excellent circuit.
  • weenyd
    My personal feeling as that its great that this facility now exists but it is a shame that they wont run in conjunction with the Vicky Park Crits this year, that was an excellent circuit.
    That is a real shame, we had some great racing there last year. The problem is that the council now wants a full road closure of Vicky Park for any cycling events, and it's that cost that has put a stop to the races this year :(

Seperate races for the different cats would be nice, but there's at best 3 hours in the evening and there just isn't the time. A Saturday in the summer is a different matter though :wink:
  • DavidJB
    I've stopped entering many crits. I normally have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to get my arse smashed by elites. (yarr yarr I'm weak etc) Sticking with 2/3/4 road races until next season or treating an e/1/2 crit as very high tempo training.

Preferred Format is

4th Cat Only
    2/3 Cat
    E/1 Cat

Or you don't even have to cater for the e/1's theres enough crits for them around! You could try breaking the mould.

You only have to look at the success of the Ludgershall winter series where they were running 2 groups of 4th only races in the winter to see the demand is there. With the mid-week point changes to crits meaning only the top 10 pay out and 10 points max its hard for second cats to get a regular look in unless they are strong enough to be 1st cats.

The points system changed without a thought about changing the race formats. There's more than enough interest due to the wiggo effect to hold 4th only races and changing some crits to 2/3 events allows the 3rds to be gradually introduced to faster paced races without getting hammered when they jump to second.

Edit: That being said I am going to be coming to odd down for a few races to check it out as it's about as far from me as Portsmouth. See you there.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The argument for a 4ths only race is non sensical.
    I think DavidJB has a point, I think the 4th only races give the 4ths a place to gain confidence and learn skills before progressing and then makes the 2/3 race a lot more interesting for more experienced riders - gives the 3rds a good challenge.

The crits were run this way at Hillingdon (maybe still are?) - it was great.

Edit: I think it makes the 2/3 race a lot safer without the 4ths.