Defy 3 composite (2012) v Defy 1 (2013)

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new roadbike and so far just been doing some online research.
However, I went to the local Giant shop lunchtime with the idea of looking at the Defy 1 and finding out what all the fuss was about in the reviews and forums.
Good looking bike etc etc

While there the salesman did his job :) and showed me the Defy 3 composite (2013) which is another £300 and to my untrained eye only differs by having Tiagra instead of 105. Apart from the carbon frame of course! :)
I liked the look of the Composite but maybe a bit more than I want to pay.

But.........looking online now I see I can get the Defy 3 Composite (2012) for same money (or a bit less) than the Defy 1 (2013) and again, to my untrained eye, the Composite 2012 version compared to the Composite 2013 version seems to differ only in the crankset which is FSA Omega Exo on the 2012 and is Shimano Tiagra on the 2013. Is that enough to warrant the extra £300 for the 2013 version? And if not, then is the Defy 3 Composite 2012 then a better/as good a buy as the Defy 1 2013.

Confused? I know I am. Too many choices to make when buying a bike. I'm sure buying my house was an easier decision!!
:)
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Personally the defy 3 comp over the defy 1 all day long.If you can get one same price as a defy 1 then its a no brainer.Either way its worth the differnce.
    Many on here have a defy 1 and there great bikes but the giant carbon frame is a frame that makes it worth the extra.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    elderone wrote:
    Personally the defy 3 comp over the defy 1 all day long.If you can get one same price as a defy 1 then its a no brainer.Either way its worth the differnce.
    Many on here have a defy 1 and there great bikes but the giant carbon frame is a frame that makes it worth the extra.

Thats what I thought.
    I just wondered about the different (better?) components on the Defy 1 making it better value. But I guess all that can be upgraded - the frame can't
    :)
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Pedal On are doing the Defy 2 composite (2012) for £1099 delivered and have stock of S or M/L.

It's kitted in SRAM Apex rather than Shimano, good price if the size fits.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    Pedal On are doing the Defy 2 composite (2012) for £1099 delivered and have stock of S or M/L.

It's kitted in SRAM Apex rather than Shimano, good price if the size fits.
    CRACKING PRICE,
    £400 cheaper than mine was.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori