C59 owners? bad points?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Thinking of getting a C59. Rather than looking for out and out praise, can people who own one mention any bad points or short-fallings to their expectations.

Most buying threads are so tainted by people tainted by their belief their money has bought the best possible product.... I know its a good frame, but has anyone got any negatives? Or bought one and changed to something else, and why? A good degree of people who might have a product who think its the holy grail will replace it (defying the holy-grail bit a little), so I suppose Im after some picky opinions.

(just to put that in context, one of my bikes is an R3, and I can pick a few things about it which are disappointing)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Down side the disc brake version is not on sale yet. That wold have to a good way to blow £12k, if I had it spare why not.

The only down side to a colnago is the price but if you are o.k with the price there is not a wrong with them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mfin
    Down side the disc brake version is not on sale yet. That wold have to a good way to blow £12k, if I had it spare why not.

The only down side to a colnago is the price but if you are o.k with the price there is not a wrong with them.

So you're opinion is that fit permitting they are the best frame at the money, and nothing else offers anything else? ...just asking, not being picky or provocative... its a lot of money, and reviews dont mean a lot, its nice to know opinions from people who've put 1000s of miles on them and similarly priced frames
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Club mate just posted pictures of his cracked fork. So if you're descending, hit something, get flipped into the path of an incoming car, the forks may break. Hope that helps! :lol:
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    No bad points with me,its just perfect imo
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    mfin wrote:

So you're opinion is that fit permitting they are the best frame at the money, and nothing else offers anything else? ...just asking, not being picky or provocative... its a lot of money, and reviews dont mean a lot, its nice to know opinions from people who've put 1000s of miles on them and similarly priced frames

For 10k I'd rather have a custom build Parlee. Freedom to spec geometry and a custom paint job.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have two C59's :-) The only problem is the fat lump on top if it. :roll:

Within my ability I cannot find one single fault.

Some may claim they aren't the lightest at 1000gm's but this is a deliberate plan by Ernesto as he doesn't believe a frame is safe when built lighter, he's probably right as the frame is very stiff and doesn't use a BB30 or BBright Bottom Bracket as it is built properly.

From the grapevine they appear to have one of the lowest failure rates/warranty claims as opposed to the likes of Cervelo.

If they are good enough for Voeckler, then they are certainly good enough for me 8)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    mroli wrote:
    Club mate just posted pictures of his cracked fork. So if you're descending, hit something, get flipped into the path of an incoming car, the forks may break. Hope that helps! :lol:
    Yeah, like any carbon fork mate. Don't make the C59 as an example, it could have been any frame.

There are no bad points of a C59, they are fantastic frames imo.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Geometry and fit have already been covered.

If weight is important to you, then they are not the lightest frame. The lightest frames I have are the R5 VWD and the Parlee z5 - the C59 is not in that category.

At present electric or manual are separate frames, whereas some other top end framesets have both capabilities on the one frame (although people here have retro fitted electric to a manual frame, not sure what that does to the warranty).

It's tough to get a bargain on a C59, whereas periodically you can get good discounts on some very good frames (R5VWD at half price !)

The most critical question (which is also true of all high end frames) is probably whether the frame is worth the incremental cost over a cheaper frame. I have frames that cost 50-60% of the C59 frameset and performance wise there is no significant difference. On a bang for buck basis I still think my Canyon SLX was the best frame I bought. It's lighter than the C59, I have ridden it for 10+ hour rides with no discomfort and it is a simple frame to work on.

That's as dispassionate a view as I can give. However you cannot overlook the other factors that go into choosing a frame. The aesthetics on the C59 are spot on, having been brought up on lugged frames I like the look of a lugged frame, I really look forward to riding it and the Colnago name still means something to me.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    That last paragraph above says it all. C59 is prob. the only high end production bike I would buy. After that I'd be in Seven/Serotta/Parlee/Guru territory. It looks right, more than the now ubiquitous Pinarellos/Specialized/Wiliers do and you see less C59s on the road
    M.Rushton
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    You'll never look as good riding it as the Wiggle Honda girls do...
  • mfin
    giant man wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Yeah, like any carbon fork mate. Don't make the C59 as an example, it could have been any frame.

I think you missed the smiley face there
  • mfin
    For 10k I'd rather have a custom build Parlee. Freedom to spec geometry and a custom paint job.

We're not talking 10k though, we're talking 2.5k for a frameset, using existing 2ks worth of parts to have it rolling on Super Record and Shamals, so 4.5k is less than half that.
  • mfin
    Only other frameset Im considering is a Legend HT 5.7 or 7.5 at a push... but I doubt anyone will have experience of them, which makes the C59 more attractive as there's plenty of owner feedback on them
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    mfin wrote:
    Only other frameset Im considering is a Legend HT 5.7 or 7.5 at a push... but I doubt anyone will have experience of them, which makes the C59 more attractive as there's plenty of owner feedback on them

I can put you in touch of someone who has an HT5.7. I'll PM you.
  • giant_man
    mfin wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    mroli wrote:

No. I saw the smiley face thanks. Btw, love your Love/Hate cover, I still have my signed copy in my collection somewhere.
  • mfin
    giant man wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    mroli wrote:

No. I saw the smiley face thanks. Btw, love your Love/Hate cover, I still have my signed copy in my collection somewhere.

I saw them twice! looking back at their videos they don't half look daft though, time has taken its toll! Used to love the fact that they were quite raw and agressive when so much guitar music at the time was so wet and bon-jovi-esque, which I was allergic to! ...saw GnR twice too in the Apetite era before they went all sh1t with the Use Your Illusion stuff, inc at the Marquee with Faster Pussycat and probably 20 metres away from where the people who sadly died at Donington were :(
  • giant_man
    i used to work for a rock mag when they came on the scene, remember seeing them at the old marquee, ah happy days ....
  • Camcycle1974
    mfin wrote:

We're not talking 10k though, we're talking 2.5k for a frameset, using existing 2ks worth of parts to have it rolling on Super Record and Shamals, so 4.5k is less than half that.

Fair point although a non-custom parlee Z2 or Z3 would be about in that ball park too. As would a TCR Advanced SL which, imo have one of the best frame sets of any production bike. The shop I got my Giant from has a TCR Sl frameset in L for £1500. Lighter and stiffer than the C59. If it was in my size I would be sorely tempted.
  • mfin
    Ive been tempted by TCR Advanced SLs a lot of times, yeah £1500 for a Medium in non-isp would be tempting for me!
  • giant_man
    edited May 2013
    but it's not a C59. that's the main thing. The ride quality on a TCR isn't anything like a C59.
  • Camcycle1974
    Ah, think it might be large. The owner of the shop has just got himself a TCR Advanced SL 2 with the full red group on it and it's a stunning bit of kit. I know lightness is not the be all and end all but this thing is < 7kg in the large size he rides. Considerably less than your quoted build price too. He has been a Giant dealer for years and as such can get pretty much anything Giant including frame sets. His is ISP but sure he could get an non-ISP frame for a lot less than retail.
    Worth a thought? Maybe not as in vogue as Colnago but Giant frames are second to none imo.

No, its not a C59 but a very good bike all the same. One of the guys in our group rides a C59 and it is stunning but no more so than the Giant TCR SL.
  • mfin
    giant man wrote:
    but it's not a C59. that's the main thing. The ride quality on a TCR isn't anything like a C59.

Still a high end bike though.

Actually the TCR Advanced SL is the only thing Id consider automatically apart from a C59. (Will definitely look at these Legends though)
  • mfin
    Ah, think it might be large. The owner of the shop has just got himself a TCR Advanced SL 2 with the full red group on it and it's a stunning bit of kit. I know lightness is not the be all and end all but this thing is < 7kg in the large size he rides. Considerably less than your quoted build price too. He has been a Giant dealer for years and as such can get pretty much anything Giant including frame sets. His is ISP but sure he could get an non-ISP frame for a lot less than retail.
    Worth a thought? Maybe not as in vogue as Colnago but Giant frames are second to none imo.

No, its not a C59 but a very good bike all the same. One of the guys in our group rides a C59 and it is stunning but no more so than the Giant TCR SL.

Think the chances of getting a new non-ISP in Medium which is the most common size, at £1500 is quite small though.
  • Camcycle1974
    Don't know. I'll ask him.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    giant man wrote:
    Seriously?!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Nice bikes, money aside I'd get one of these or a Look.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If I was to be buying a money no object bling bike, it would be a Time Fluidity S.

But that is a personal choice which would be nice to have. :wink:

Edit:- Perfectly happy with the Master and see no reason to buy another "good" bike, but if I was..... :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mfin
    Finally ordered a C59 a week ago.
  • mfin wrote:
    Finally ordered a C59 a week ago.

Awesome, where from? When will it be ready?

Dont forget to post some pics
  • mfin
    Italy :) ...it's only the Frame, Fork and Seatpost, using all my existing stuff on it all coming off my R3 (except I will need a different stem), building up myself. Estimated delivery is mid-Oct, but I have been told it could turn up as early as mid-Sept if I'm lucky (I'll be prepared to be sat here annoyed at Xmas still waiting :) )

Will post some pics up.