Juicy three trouble

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have juicy threes on the front, and recently the brake seems to stay on.

I took the pads out, pushed the pistons back and put the wheel back in, I then span the wheel (felt great). When I have actually applied the brakes, they are staying on. I can still spin the wheel but it only rotates a few times before stopping as the pads are touching the disc too much.

I tried re-aligning the calipers too and still got the same problem.

I think that I have the spring clip in place properly. Would bleeding help? The lever doesn't travel much before the brakes are on tight.

Any advice welcome.
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bleeding won't help.
    Take the pads out, lube the seals with a bit of brake fluid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah - as cooldad says.

Before you push the calipers back in, put some brake fluid around them - my guess is that you have the infamous 'sticky pistons' issue that all Juicys seem to suffer with, but its not yet bad enough to stop you manually pushing them in but bad enough that they dont do it under their own steam.

You may even want to push the caliper further out (making sure they dont pop out!) and ensure the lube gets as far in as possible.

If the wheels are spinning fine before you pull the brake lever, then there is not too much fluid in the system and I dont think a bleed will make any difference.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Have a look at the caliper while pulling the brake lever, does one pad contact before the other and push the rotor across? That might give an indication of which piston is sticking.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    apreading wrote:
    Yeah - as cooldad says.

Before you push the calipers back in, put some brake fluid around them - my guess is that you have the infamous 'sticky pistons' issue that all Juicys seem to suffer with, but its not yet bad enough to stop you manually pushing them in but bad enough that they dont do it under their own steam.

You may even want to push the caliper further out (making sure they dont pop out!) and ensure the lube gets as far in as possible.

If the wheels are spinning fine before you pull the brake lever, then there is not too much fluid in the system and I dont think a bleed will make any difference.

+1
  • ricktabor1
    ricktabor1 Posts: 272
    Thanks very much.

That sounds like great advice. I hadn't considered sticky pistons.

I love it when you ask for advice and get helpful replies.

Off to the garage now.

Cheers
    Got to get up to get down