Womens Chamois pads

chezzacad
chezzacad Posts: 16
edited February 2014 in Women's cycling forum
I'm struggling to get shorts to fit and alot of the time I'm having to buy and wear mens shorts which dont fit properly. I'm now looking for a UK supplier of the womens specific chamois pads to replace all the pads in my mens shorts.
If anyone can give me advice of a supplier it would be much appreciated.
Chezza

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try contacting some of the shops that make custom club kits. They may sell just the chamois or may even be able to fit one to a mens short. Also try Ebay. I have seen some places here in the US that just sell the chamois but don't know about the UK.
  • Women's specific cycling kit here http://realfitkit.co.uk/

Does that help?
  • chezzacad
    Thanks Pumpkin Positive I have emailed realkitfit so hopefully they can help.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    chezzacad wrote:
    I'm struggling to get shorts to fit and alot of the time I'm having to buy and wear mens shorts which dont fit properly. I'm now looking for a UK supplier of the womens specific chamois pads to replace all the pads in my mens shorts.
    If anyone can give me advice of a supplier it would be much appreciated.
    Chezza

Probably not what you are looking for (and I mention only for sake of completeness) but women specific shorts are available albeit it at some considerable cost here http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Assos/TFILady-Bibshort-SS13/157A

Assos is very expensive and it is only in middle age that I can justify the cost, but my experience is that it Is absolutely first rate stuff. Appreciate the majority will turn white at cost.

Regards

Alan

Ps I believe that in the event of a crash they will repair free of charge.
    Regards
    Alan
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    +1 Assos.

Very well made padding. They have several designs for the best ergonomic fit.
  • chezzacad
    I'm still looking for chamois pads it seems there isn't anyone in this country that could supply just the chamois. I've found a site in Italy and one in America. But if I buy I will have shipping and import costs. The chamois each are around 20 dollars so I could probably buy ladies shorts here for the cost of chamois!!.
    I cannot justify spending £150-200 for bib shorts on the off chance that these will be uncomfortable too! I'm just shocked that when looking at the shorts there seem to be huge pads in them! Because I'm a rather large lady I am struggling. I won't give up even if it means creating my own PADS! :twisted:
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Which ladies shorts have you tried and why are they uncomfy?
    I have tried many pairs and Assos bib shorts are definitely best for me (Gore are the worst - much too small), but the Decathlon bib shorts are fairly good for the money. (They come in some reasonable sizes too). Just as a thought, can you buy a pair of Decathlon shorts and transfer the chamois to another pair? I am not sure if it is possible but is worth looking at.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Altura also do bigger sizes from what I have seen, and I've had no trouble with the pads in those.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Generally Assos/Rapha/Castelli. Cytech are a big supplier of chamois pads, but by the time you've faffed about you are better buying something decent
    M.Rushton
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm a larger lady as well and find most companies (Assos/Rapha/Castelli being 3 of them) simply don't make clothes large enough for me (since when is a 16 an XL :evil: ).

Afraid I can't help with your actual question but if you don't find a pad supplier and are back hunting for womens shorts in the future the Altura shorts (and tops) seem to be a size larger than they state. There is also this ebay seller who sells cycling shorts in a few larger sizes and they aren't too expensive.

Or you could try contacting fitjo and see where they source their pads, assuming they make the shorts themselves and don't simply sew on a logo.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    I have the Skins Lady's cycling /bibshorts - fab - you select size base on height and weight to get ideal fit. They feel a bit tight - but this is because they are compression ones so support muscles. Dear but excellent.
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    I saw some decathlon bibs mentioned in cycling weekly this week and decided to give them a go. Not bad at all for under £40, I may well pick up another pair.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    no pictures?
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    I was in decathlon today and noticed they had some womens cycling underwear - 2 pairs of pants and a separate, unattached, pad. Tbh it didn't look like a particularly sophisticated pad, and I'm in spain at the moment so theymay not sell them in the uk, but it might be worth investigating.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    appreciate that this is rather a late post, but quite a lot of MTB shorts have semi integrated liners with the pads in them. I am just too scared to go downhill these days, so have snipped the liners out, and can use them under regular running tights. Given that MTB kit can often run bigger than road kit, it may be worth a look? I had some Fox and Pearl Izumi shorts that had mesh liners with pads which were attached in just 4 places, had separate waistband, and so were ideal for this.
  • Try WWW.Terry.com Site started by a female cyclist in the US and they carry a range of female cycling specific gear.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    You could try Lusso. they still manufacture in the UK and will do custom sizes.