Seatpost Size

Abunster86
Abunster86 Posts: 9
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I was wondering if anyone could help me with finding out which size seat post to buy. I have a 2006 Orbea Onix. This is my first time using this forum or any forum for that matter (I know embarrassing). Hope it proves useful...

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Abunster86 wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with finding out which size seat post to buy. I have a 2006 Orbea Onix. This is my first time using this forum or any forum for that matter (I know embarrassing). Hope it proves useful...

ShowImage.ashx?Type=3&File=SEAS0707.jpg&Man=SEAL&Size=250

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-150MM-DIGITAL-LCD-VERNIER-CALIPER-FREE-HARD-CASE-/170927217373?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item27cc0e5add
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Abunster86 wrote:

If it's a round seatpost (I don't know the bike off the top of my head) - take the old post out and it should be stamped somewhere around the minimum insertion mark. Would guess it's either 27.2 or 31.6 as they're the most common outside of specialized.
  • Abunster86
    I pulled out the seat post and it didn't say anything. I'm also not looking to buy any sort of tool just to find this one time measurement...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You don't own a tape measure? Really?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Or a ruler?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Abunster86
    I was foolish enough to believe that there was some Bike guru who knew every bike manufacturers measurements off the top of his head.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there will be a marking on it unless it has been cut down.

and you need to know to the nearest 0.1mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freezing77
    Abunster86 wrote:
    I was foolish enough to believe that there was some Bike guru who knew every bike manufacturers measurements off the top of his head.

There is
    http://sheldonbrown.com/

220px-SheldonBrown.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Brown_%28bicycle_mechanic%29
  • freezing77
    For info the Sheldon Brown site is the most comprehensive site for bicycle related technical information on the web.

Despite the unfortunate demise of the late and great Sheldon the site is kept up to date by various contributors
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Abunster86 wrote:

In the absence of a ruler/tape measure/spec sheet then why not just take the seatpost into a bikeshop and compare them? This could also be the start of a good relationship with your LBS which you will definitely need if you are adverse to buying tools...

HTH