What frame...sorry

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new frame in and around the £2000-2500 mark, not too sporty but not too relaxed either, will be transferring parts from other bike. Looking something to do 25/30 miles three times a week and longer at the weekends.
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    If you narrow it down to the options that fit perfectly and are in that price range, you will have a much smaller list!

Or if you don't know your exact fit, spend £150 on a good bike fit and look for a frame in the £1850 - £2350 range..
  • golfergmc
    I need something in 56/58 with a 170/180mm and was looking at cervelo, scott, colnago etc.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • neeb
    The thing is, you will find significant differences in fit between bikes that are apparently the same frame size and have the same head tube length, depending on effective top tube length and seat tube angle. E.g., let's say you have two bikes with a 55cm effective top tube length but one has a 73 degree seat tube angle and the other has 74 degree seat tube angle. If you need a 110mm stem on the first one, you will need a 100mm stem on the second one (assuming you have your saddle setback correct), because the steeper seat tube angle will make the effective top tube length effectively longer. So there is effective top tube length and effective effective top tube length... :wink:

I wouldn't want to buy a frame unless I knew I could set it up comfortably with a sensible length stem and a saddle position that wasn't pushed all the way back or all the way forward. IME the majority of bikes don't have a frame size that fits any given individual perfectly, so you need to look around to find the ones that do.
  • neeb
    Otherwise, just get a Tarmac SL4.. :)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Look 586
  • neeb
    And as the C59 is out of your price range, forget Colnago.
  • neeb
    If I was buying a £2000-£2500 frame I'd be tempted by one of these. Supposed to be extremely good and Merida know what they are doing... Not trendy, but will become more so.

http://www.cyclans.com/cadre-velo-de-route-merida/261-cadre-route-merida-scultura-sl-team-carbone-2013.html
  • golfergmc
    I was mostly interested in the cervelo s5/r5 ranges.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    To throw in something a bit different, how about a lynskey r340? Stunning looking thing imo.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • neeb
    golfergmc wrote:
    The thing is, you are not going to get any meaningful answer to such a non-specific question that is going to be helpful in deciding what bike is best for you. Cervelo is a good brand and plenty people will have various opinions about the s5 and/or r5, but the same would go for 10 other brands. There are lots of very good bikes around, but no-one can tell you which is best for you without knowing a lot more about your dimensions, style of riding, preferences etc. It's a bit like saying that you are looking for dinner at around the £10 mark, what should you get? I vote for pasta by the way.. :wink:
  • golfergmc
    Dimensions are 6'2 and 15st 2lb with a 33" inside leg and put out quite a bit of power. My usual riding would be hill/rolling terrain and getting round the route as quick as possible, would average 18/19 mph. The frame doesn't have to be this years model and if I can get a bargain even better though would prefer internal cabling.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • neeb
    I see you have an Addict R2 and a Cube Streamer listed. Do you prefer the setup on one or either of these? What frame sizes are they, and if you were to change anything about either of them, what would it be? (e.g. more/less reach, stiffer/less stiff, more comfortable, more/less upright).
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    golfergmc wrote:
    Looking for a new frame in and around the £2000-2500 mark, not too sporty but not too relaxed either, will be transferring parts from other bike. Looking something to do 25/30 miles three times a week and longer at the weekends.

This is within your budget

http://www.bike-science.com/our-bikes-a ... -1605.html
  • golfergmc
    The addict is a 56 and the streamer is 58 but I think cube are on the small size. The addict is spot on for size and reach but would like it to bet a bit more comfortable and fitter said I am right on the limit of it in terms of spacers and ideally would need a bike with a taller head tube to cut down on the spacers.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    With that cash how about a British wyndymilla frame- support a British firm.
  • LegendLust
    Tb2121 wrote:
    With that cash how about a British wyndymilla frame- support a British firm.

Aye but the frames are made in Italy
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    Really mate, thanks for the info, thought they were Brit through and through
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    LegendLust wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:

:o That is nice! :P
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    golfergmc wrote:

I'll have one of each by next weekend... been riding the R5 for a year or so, the S5 is being built up at the moment.

If it's hilly then the R5 would probably be the better option. Geometry is the same on each, S5 slightly heavier but more aero... R5 is perfectly stiff enough (and seems to be what most of the Garmin Sharp team ride, even on the flatter stages). S5 has internal cabling if that's important, R5 doesn't.

All depends on the geometry though - Cervelos fit me easily, Specialized, for example, are less easy to get a good fit on.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    LegendLust wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:

It even looks good in purple, imagine it in a decent colour !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • LegendLust
    Galatzo wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:

The finish on that frame is stunning close up. It is in fact a 'tint' - close up you can still see the carbon weave. It's as if the painter has watered doen the paint so that is seeps into the weave, rather than 'sit' on the carbon. They do other tint colours - the dark blue is beauty.

Pic here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc wrote:

I'll have one of each by next weekend... been riding the R5 for a year or so, the S5 is being built up at the moment.

If it's hilly then the R5 would probably be the better option. Geometry is the same on each, S5 slightly heavier but more aero... R5 is perfectly stiff enough (and seems to be what most of the Garmin Sharp team ride, even on the flatter stages). S5 has internal cabling if that's important, R5 doesn't.

All depends on the geometry though - Cervelos fit me easily, Specialized, for example, are less easy to get a good fit on.
    Can you let me know how you get on and what would be the better bike for general usage.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Those Legend builds look good.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • neeb
    golfergmc wrote:
    The addict is a 56 and the streamer is 58 but I think cube are on the small size. The addict is spot on for size and reach but would like it to bet a bit more comfortable and fitter said I am right on the limit of it in terms of spacers and ideally would need a bike with a taller head tube to cut down on the spacers.
    Based on that your size on the cervelo r5 would also be a 56, but the reach would be about 5mm shorter with the same size stem (the top tube length is only 1mm shorter at 564mm on the cervelo compared to 565mm on the Addict, but as the addict has a 73.3 degree seat tube angle and the Cervelo is 73, the reach is a little longer on the Addict once you have the saddle in the same position relative to the BB). The headtube is 13mm longer on the cervelo, so that would suit you. With the saddle in the same position relative to BB and the same offset on the seatpost (don't know if the latter is the case) you would have the saddle 3 - 5mm further back on the rails with the cervelo.

Basically, the cervelo would seem a tiny bit shorter as well as being a bit higher at the front.

The cervelo has a steeper head tube at 73.5 as opposed to 73. Can't find out what the offset is on the Addict, but if it is 43mm (same as the cervelo) the trail on the cervelo would be a little less and the bike might feel a tiny bit more responsive/twitchy in the steering, but possibly not enough to notice. Otherwise the bikes are not dissimilar, both have short chain stays and likely quite short wheelbases so probably would feel similarly sporty. Don't know about comfort - I get the impression both bikes are on the harsher side but the Scotts in particular seem to have a reputation for this.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They are good. Very good.
  • golfergmc
    neeb wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:
    Based on that your size on the cervelo r5 would also be a 56, but the reach would be about 5mm shorter with the same size stem (the top tube length is only 1mm shorter at 564mm on the cervelo compared to 565mm on the Addict, but as the addict has a 73.3 degree seat tube angle and the Cervelo is 73, the reach is a little longer on the Addict once you have the saddle in the same position relative to the BB). The headtube is 13mm longer on the cervelo, so that would suit you. With the saddle in the same position relative to BB and the same offset on the seatpost (don't know if the latter is the case) you would have the saddle 3 - 5mm further back on the rails with the cervelo.

Basically, the cervelo would seem a tiny bit shorter as well as being a bit higher at the front.

The cervelo has a steeper head tube at 73.5 as opposed to 73. Can't find out what the offset is on the Addict, but if it is 43mm (same as the cervelo) the trail on the cervelo would be a little less and the bike might feel a tiny bit more responsive/twitchy in the steering, but possibly not enough to notice. Otherwise the bikes are not dissimilar, both have short chain stays and likely quite short wheelbases so probably would feel similarly sporty. Don't know about comfort - I get the impression both bikes are on the harsher side but the Scotts in particular seem to have a reputation for this.
    Thanks for that, I have been trying to find out what size would fit me and asking the local dealer but no one would give me a definite answer. Now this also brings the r3sl into the equation as they have them reduced at the minute.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Galatzo wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:

The red 7.5 OMG , why do i read this !!! ,anyone want a oltre ! :D
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Sorry I dont understand the question.

Just get a 2011 Scott Addict R1 in Matt Black.

Topic closed.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    limoneboy wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    golfergmc wrote:

The red 7.5 OMG , why do i read this !!! ,anyone want a oltre ! :D

This gets even Worse the factory is on the direct route (Bergamo)i will pass it on the way to lake Garda and i am driving there this August bike in tow. Says factory visit welcome , how can not go and see !!!
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    How about an Enigma? British built by hand, custom size, optional finishes. You can even visit the factory and meet the guys that will build the frame for you.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/index.html