Brake set-up

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
HI,
I usually use my index finger to brake but the lever seems to now require to be pulled right the way to the bar - so basically my other fingers are getting to the way! The brakes are formula Rx. I've checked the pads and they look fine. The pistons seem to move okay. One a bit better than the other so I cleaned them and lubed with a touch of brake fluid - seem reasonable. Do the brakes need bled or is there any other adjustment I can do? You don't need to advance pads with hydraulic brakes - right?

Like I said, I basically need to pull the lever right back to the handlebar to lock the rear so it's pretty poor.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Adjust the reach, the manual will show you how. It will either be an Allen key adjuster or tool less.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    wow - that was easy!!!! saved me about 2 hours messing around!!! thanks so much!! greatly appreciated :) this website is class!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Sounds like you need to move the brakes inboard a bit if the lever is hitting your other fingers. I have my brakes set up so they are very nearly touching the bar when I have them fully on...but there's def no fingers underneath them!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8