First Road Race advice

markynulty
markynulty Posts: 409
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
I am thinking of entering the Capernwray road race at the start of June. It will be my first race event (license in post as we speak). I have read other threads so know what to expect as to pace. The only thing that is slightly worrying is that it is open to cats 2, 3 and 4. Is this event normally a good beginner friendly starting place or should I be looking elsewhere? Based near Manchester and wanting to get the first race under the belt very soon to get more experience over the summer. Oh and I much prefere the thought of road racing to closed circuits on tracks.

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    why not? all the stuff about riding safe applies and chances are the riding std will be higher and if you can hang in there, you ll learn more.
  • markynulty
    Yeah good point. Will enter once license comes through.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    A 2/3/4 pretty much anywhere is unfriendly to newbies... I'd consider it as a first road race, but I'd say it's a waste of the entry for a first race of any sort unless you know from fellow club mates that you have the power and enough experience on wheels and in a grop to stay in.

As much as may dislike circuits - they are a good place to start.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    jibberjim wrote:
    A 2/3/4 pretty much anywhere is unfriendly to newbies... I'd consider it as a first road race, but I'd say it's a waste of the entry for a first race of any sort unless you know from fellow club mates that you have the power and enough experience on wheels and in a grop to stay in.

As much as may dislike circuits - they are a good place to start.

Unless you have deep reserves of what it takes to stay on the money, it is very much as Jim says.

This as an alternative https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ies-Race-6
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you know you are strong enough then technically a 234 will be no more demanding - if anything a lower cat circuit race will require better bike handling - though as a novice you might prefer to learn in the company of other novices. It is hard to generalise - plenty of people are comfy in a bunch straight away - some never. I wouldn't rule it out but I probably wouldn't travel a long way for a 234 as a first ever race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I know you don't want to but give a crit a try, you are probably more likely to find a cat 3/4 or cat 4 only race and you'll get a good idea on bunch riding and pacing. Where I've been racing there is a cat 1/2/3 race on at the same time as the 3/4 and the pace difference is more than noticeable.

Have just started myself and have pended down all the things I've learnt here: http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/

Saying that, at the end of the day you'll never know till you've tried.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I raced a 4th only crit last night, and after our race they run a E123 & 3/4/W at the same time.
    The E123 was so much faster and lapped the 3/4 twice on the circuit, the pace difference (as mentioned above) was more than noticeable.

Without knowing how fast you are, as you may already be at a cat 2 standard (for example) but have never raced, i know people like this, so racing in that catagory will be fine. Its not all about pace, but change in pace and tackeling corners etc.

I personally wouldnt have even considered racing anything higher than a 3/4 race for my first, infact i have been quite a wimp and only selected 4th only. oh and also Crits a fun, from what i have been told they are more casual than road races, alot more leaning on/shoulder bashing and shouting on the road. I havent raced on the road yet, so cant comment myself.
  • All depends if you like drags and climbs!!

But Capenwray is seen as a big race with being open to 2nd Cats the standard will be quite high!!

Follow the traditional route -

Join a club, ride the chaingang, ask where the race is at the weekend!!

Or in the North West book your CDNW race 3 months in advance so you get in!!! :roll: :roll:
  • markynulty
    Thanks or all the responses guys. I know I am relatively fast, and can maintain 25mph on flats, but having never raced before the confidence is not there yet. I am also competent on hills (Snake Pass and Isle of Skye are within 3 miles of my door and are ridden regurally). Think I will try the salt ayre track races first then move on to the road stuff. Salt ayre doesn't look as bad as some tracks lol.
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    If you can climb well then you'll like Capernwray. That climb, 8 times, is an absolute BEAST. I can easily hold my own in a 2/3/4 race, but I was shelled on the 3rd time up that horrible place (then again, 80kg is a pretty good excuse!)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    markynulty wrote:
    Thanks or all the responses guys. I know I am relatively fast, and can maintain 25mph on flats, but having never raced before the confidence is not there yet. I am also competent on hills (Snake Pass and Isle of Skye are within 3 miles of my door and are ridden regurally). Think I will try the salt ayre track races first then move on to the road stuff. Salt ayre doesn't look as bad as some tracks lol.

Salt Ayre is a bit narrow ish for my liking but then so is Sundorne
    but plenty of events organised and it does not have a tight kamikaze hairpin as far as I can recall unlike Sundorne.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    markynulty wrote:

Isle of Skye ? Not heard of that one whereabouts is it?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • markynulty
    Isle of Skye road is the road from greenfield up past dovestones onto the tops. Ends up in Holmefirth eventually.