light tyres and tubes..which do you recomend.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for tyres and tubes that are light but still good enough for a sportive etc.I dont want to spend good money on light wheels then spoil them with heavy tyres and tubes.
For example,Elites are 1520 without tyres and tubes and 2060 with them.So basically I,m looking for tyres and tube combo,s between 500-600 gr max.
Any one any ideas or know a site where I can find tyre weights.
cheers.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Veloflex Corsa's with Latex tubes
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD + Continental Supersonic = 480g or Michelin latex = 530g
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    LegendLust wrote:

Brilliant choice in dry conditions :)

Be prepared to fix (many) punctures if the road is even slightly damp!!
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Conti gp4000s with latex tubes. There are faster and lighter tyres, but in my opinion these offer the best all round compromise for speed, longevity and protection, as well as only costing a few grams over the lightest tyres.

I default to these for sportives or longer races, but for short course or tt where the race is as good as over with a puncture, its vittoria open corsa EVO Cx - brilliant tyres.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Planet X lightweight inner tubes, virtually the same weight as latex tubes and only 2 quid a pop. And can be repaired with normal patches (or just thrown away at that price!) Four top clinchers that always get mentioned on here are Schwalbe Ultremo zx, Conti GP4000s, Vittoria open corsa evo cx and Michelin Pro4Race
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thanks for replies,just what I wanted.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    LegendLust wrote:

I've got this exact combo on my Poshbikes Team (1340g) wheels. Really impressed with the grip, speed and ride comfort of these. I weighed them on a digital balance and they are a very light tyre (202/203g measured). Only used them in the dry however as i have another bike with more suitable gear for the wet rides.

Got mine from On One......

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TBVFC23OT-700-BGU-23/veloflex_corsa_23_open_tubular_tyre___700c___black___23mm
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    For the sh00t Shropshire roads I've just got 25mm Conti Grand Prix GT and they're excellent and not a bad weight (about 270grams IIRC). I just use standard Conti tubes, they weigh next to nowt anyway.

It all boils down to how much p*nct*re resistance you want.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am running with out issues Continental GP400os tyres 23mm (205g) ans Continental Race 28 supersonic inner tubes (50g). That's 510g for the pair of tyres and tubes. You can't get mch lighter than that with sacrificing reliability.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.