hi visibility jacket and jersey

desidereo
desidereo Posts: 26
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi looking to buy a hi vis lightweight waterproof breathable jacket which folds down to small size .Also want it to look nice too . Im male small size budget upto max £45 looking for good value bear in mind its summer..

Jersey is there a nice hi vis jersey anyone knows of? I have never bought a jersey again I guess a breathable fabric is better.
What's the benefits of a jersey ?
New to cycling , nearly got knocked off hence hi vis.

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Sorry dont have any recommendations as I dont do high-viz but just wanted to mention, dont ever rely on high-viz as your only protection - read up on cycle safety/training etc and use high-viz as an additional thing that might work sometimes but not always.

Road positioning, defensive riding and awareness of whats around me has helped me the most. Dont ride in the gutter, try to get eye contact with drivers around you when stopped at junctions, take the lane when appropriate are the sort of things I mean.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your actual question though :)
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Aldi recently had a bike gear sale - I picked up a high-vis waterproof packable jacket for £9.95 (ats as good as most cheaper cycling branded jackets out there). Might be worth a look if you have an Aldi close by, you may find a small one left if you are very, very lucky.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    desidereo wrote:
    Hi looking to buy a hi vis lightweight waterproof breathable jacket which folds down to small size .Also want it to look nice too . Im male small size budget upto max £45 looking for good value bear in mind its summer..

Aaaah! The Holy Grail question.

At that price you wont get the good quality jackets with the "branded" waterproof/breathable membrane unless you are lucky 2nd hand. You will be heading for "boil in the bag" waterproofness meaning you get wet inside out.

That said even the good quality membrane jackets have limited performance on breathability. If it is purely for summer you might be better to aim for hi-vis windproof and accept you'll get wet from rain rather than sweat.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    You could take a look at the Montane Featherlite - it is water resistant, not water proof, but meets most of your other criteria. You might find one online for around £45 too.

Or take a look at the Altura Night Vision range. I think they'er a bit more heavy duty, so will likely be more boil-in-the-bag, but a bit more water proof.
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Sorry dont have any recommendations as I dont do high-viz but just wanted to mention, dont ever rely on high-viz as your only protection - read up on cycle safety/training etc and use high-viz as an additional thing that might work sometimes but not always.

Road positioning, defensive riding and awareness of whats around me has helped me the most. Dont ride in the gutter, try to get eye contact with drivers around you when stopped at junctions, take the lane when appropriate are the sort of things I mean.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your actual question though :)

Your tips are good but adding Hi Vis as well helps. I noticed less cars pull out on me when I'm wearing Hi Vis. It's no guarantee but its a lot more sensible than black.

I have a Gore Bikewear jacket in screaming yellow. Highly recommended. It's a Xenon model.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would look at a high viz gilet rather than a jacket. Much more useful and versatile.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Sports direct have cheap muddy fox hi vis shirts,I've got one in orange,you ain't gonna set the fashion world alight,and its now got a few pulls in it,but you can see me from miles away :D
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    drlodge wrote:
    I would look at a high viz gilet rather than a jacket. Much more useful and versatile.

Not a bad shout.

I've just picked up a Funkier Gillet, white with orange hi-vis panel on lower back. Complete with zipped pocket and inner pocket for wallet or phone. Folds up to nowt.

£26.99 from JE James :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • desidereo
    desidereo Posts: 26
    bought the jacket went for a Northwave Apparel SID Jacket Yellow which should do the job . I also got a Hi vis bag cover for my back pack !
    So Just looking for a jersey now I think I am looking more for a bright yellow one !
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look at Mavic Vision clothing - very very hi viz orange. I have the h20 jacket - meets all of your requirements except one - it doesn't pack up really small , so you couldn't stuff it in a jersey pocket for example. Otherwise its great.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Philly8mt wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Not a bad shout.

I've just picked up a Funkier Gillet, white with orange hi-vis panel on lower back. Complete with zipped pocket and inner pocket for wallet or phone. Folds up to nowt.

£26.99 from JE James :)

I 2nd Funkier - I have one of their jerseys - great value & good quality.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    I think you can get suckered with the hi-viz stuff on sale.

Currently I tend to use a Crane hi-viz 3" Sam Brown Belt which the missus picked up in Aldi for £3. Rolls down to the size of a sock, weighs nothing, and is very bright yellow reflective at night (which to me is more noticeable to a car driver than silver reflective). It is also infinitely adjustable to go over whatever I'm wearing... including packable rain jacket, Altura night vision jacket, and hoodie sweatshirt if I'm off down the pub.