Best cycle shorts ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
What are the best, most comfortable cycle shorts ?
Is there a difference that is noticeable between brands ?
I currently use the ones from Sports Direct and they are great but my crown jewels tend to go numb after around 25-30k which is a worry :)
Living MY dream.

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Best or best-at-a-price?
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Get some bib shorts. Try a few pairs on and see what they feel like. DHB shorts from Wiggle get good press on here. I'd look to spend £40 - £50.

If your'e getting numb nuts it might be your saddle. Try some bibs and see if it improves.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    How can the Sport Direct ones be 'great' if they make you go numb after such a short ride?

Not cheap but definitely worth it are Castelli's Free Aero shorts.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I have 4 pairs.

Some specialized MTb ones - pretty thin pad, only use on the MTb and turbo now

Dhb roubaix - started off well, pad feels it has thinned out now and not comfy beyond approx 50 miles - only 6 months old

Chinese copies - been impressed and are comfier than the dhb ones and seem to wearing better used on sportives up to 80 miles so far

Assos s2's from the outlet - newest of the lot but definitely best made / quality. Have used upto 100 miles. Backside been fine and other parts of my body hurt more!

Overall I am expecting more from the assos bibs, moderately disappointed with the dhb, not fussed re the specialized, pleasantly surprised by the Chinese copies.

End of the day You need to find the pair for you.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    if you're going numb it's probably not due to the shorts, more likely saddle type and/or set-up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • VTech
    sungod wrote:
    if you're going numb it's probably not due to the shorts, more likely saddle type and/or set-up

I had kind of put that down to being so overweight that I tend to sit too upright as my knees were hitting my belly.
    My seat sits completely horizontal which feels better than tilted slightly forward.
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    i was thinking also of actual saddle shape/size - if it is too narrow for your sit bones, then you'll end up with more pressure centrally

btw when you get slimmed down, castelli body paint bibs, they're lovely
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    I recently did my first century ride (the Max Hurzeler 167km in Mallorca last month) wearing a pair of Assos FI Mille shorts on a hired bike with an weird saddle and I felt fine after 7 hours sat on my @rse !

They're not cheap, but they are easily the most comfortable, and best fitting bib shorts I've ever worn.
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Expensive shorts won't stop you going numb if your saddle isn't right, look into that first.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTech
    How would I know if my saddle is right though ?
    Living MY dream.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    VTech
    best bet for you would be Rapha
    When you lose all your weight you can send in your now too large size for the next one or two sizes down
    for a good discount (may only apply to Jersey sorry)
    http://www.rapha.cc/jersey-downsize-offer
  • sungod
    VTech wrote:

measure your sit bones, says how here...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... bly-30179/

then see how saddle width matches up
  • VTech
    sungod wrote:
    VTech wrote:

measure your sit bones, says how here...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... bly-30179/

then see how saddle width matches up

That is brilliant, never knew about this so I'm going to be putting a piece of foil on carpet so I can measure my posterior ASAP :):):)
    For te relatively affordable price of a correctly fitting saddle I'm sure the benefits will be instant. Cheers.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Posture makes a difference, strength in your legs to support your weight to stop you sitting like a sack of spuds on the saddle. Try flexing your stomach muscles which allows you to rotate your hips and means you can actually sit on your sit bones not on your Perineum.

Saddles are not designed to 'sit' on or they would be called seats :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think it's more saddle than anything else too.
    Are you sitting down all of the time ? Sometimes it helps to ride out of the saddle every so often.

Charge Spoon is a cheap but comfy saddle that a lot of people get on with.
  • VTech
    I do tend to sit most of the time, in fact im rarely out of the saddle to be honest.
    I do tend to sit uncomfy on the saddle too which I then tend to turn on the saddle to try and regain comfort to a degree which really never happens. I am normally fine upto 20k ish.
    Im also sure that with time ill get stronger and be in less discomfort, as I said, its not so much pain, just uncomfortable which then becomes annoying and takes some fun away. Im actually dreading tomorrow because of the backside feeling more than the actual distance ill be covering which isnt right.
    Living MY dream.