my first mountain bike the pains,problems,pics and successes

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
this is my first mountain bike since I was like 16.

what do you think it was cheap as mountain bike's goes £142 to be precise. but I think It looks nice anyway. and did a good job of getting me round the local park and forest without any hassle

picture to follow

QjYAwWA.jpg

specs are (think that's right)

Frame : Aluminium double butted Sizes :
Fork : Suntour XCT v3 100mm with lockout
Tyres : Schwalbe big apple 26 x 2.0
Transmission : Shimano Crankset : Triple 24 x 34 x 42
Shifters : shimano 24 speed acera
brakes: Shimano mechanic discs front/rear
Weight : 13.9 kg

feel free to comment :mrgreen:

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Love it! Especially the tyres!

So what are your future plans for this bikes?
  • Anonymous
    Love it! Especially the tyres!

So what are your future plans for this bikes?

depends.

lots more of riding round forests maybe a few trials might head up bike art see what that's like.having fun atm and getting healthy at the same time :D

in the way upgrades not sure atm.
    probably new disc brakes. sometime in future as these seem to rub a little.
    maybe new pedal's or new footwear my feet seem to slip of pedals sometimes and my ankle's and shin's get bashed
    see where things goes in the future.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I personally would try and shed some weight. Maybe by getting a lightweigh seat. Its amazing how much weight i saved by getting a nice race seat for £15! Mine only starts hurting after riding for 30 odd kilometres.
  • Anonymous
    I personally would try and shed some weight. Maybe by getting a lightweigh seat. Its amazing how much weight i saved by getting a nice race seat for £15! Mine only starts hurting after riding for 30 odd kilometres.
    ill look into it

was jus looking at your topic in the crud catcher. :lol::lol::lol:
  • gt-arrowhead
    ill look into it

eBay has alot of choice for bike seats, and the majority are pretty cheap. You can get some really really nice ones if you are willing to pay though obviously.
    was jus looking at your topic in the crud catcher. :lol::lol::lol:

Hahahaha :lol::lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Tyres tyres tyres! They're not off road tyres!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Tyres tyres tyres! They're not off road tyres!

its more hybrid atm because I have to cycle on the road to get to the park/forest.

what would you recommend in not very rich person.

also never fitted a new a tyre's with to bike with disc brakes before.

thank's
  • Anonymous
    PICTURE'S ( all pictures taken on blackberry smartphone)

local park (ignore the bag ive now brought a bottle holder :D )

inLBJJU.jpg

chillin

o46iqeD.jpg

forested area

CIWLvh2.jpg

bad quality ( all pictures taken on blackberry smartphone)

hSVFyLi.jpg

mudguard has a mind of its own

nAXRBCv.jpg
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    Fitting the tyres will be the same as always, discs make no difference.

Some Kenda small blocks would work for you, decent off road capability and not going to drag too much on the road.

Get a backpack & put that chain in it, gonna rub buggery out of the paintwork on the frame.

If the mudguard is just rotating around, wrap an old piece of inner tube around the seat post & clamp the guard around that, should stop it from sliding around.

As for a seat, the spoon charge can be had for £10 & is a very nice seat, I did untold miles on mine.

Most importantly though is enjoy the bike, get some mates who also bike & get out together, it's fun in groups.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you even need a mud guard on that ride? Looks completely dry to me. Then again you don't seem one for logic.
  • unquestioned
    Nothing wrong with having the mudguard on all the time. Mine is, mostly out of sheer lazyness mind but it's never really that dry in my part of the world.
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2013
    Fitting the tyres will be the same as always, discs make no difference.

Some Kenda small blocks would work for you, decent off road capability and not going to drag too much on the road.

Get a backpack & put that chain in it, gonna rub buggery out of the paintwork on the frame.

If the mudguard is just rotating around, wrap an old piece of inner tube around the seat post & clamp the guard around that, should stop it from sliding around.

As for a seat, the spoon charge can be had for £10 & is a very nice seat, I did untold miles on mine.

Most importantly though is enjoy the bike, get some mates who also bike & get out together, it's fun in groups.

my first attempt at mountain biking,

could you link the tyres I have no idea where to buy bike stuff. i used to be a pc gamer to pc blew up then decided it was time be active again
    I could fix the mud guard tomorrow I guess while I have spare time
    i should really get a backpack or atleast something like that for the chain as the frame is taking a few hits from that.
    is it normal for the front forks once unlocked to compress easily i can push them down 60% using my own body weight if i push on the handle bars.

thanks for feedback
  • Anonymous
    Why do you even need a mud guard on that ride? Looks completely dry to me. Then again you don't seem one for logic.

this is the first dry week in about 6 months where i live. and it rained yesterday. and never got round to taking it off.

next time if you have question you don't need to be such a prat when asking it :mrgreen:
  • unquestioned
    Chain reaction cycles, wiggle, amazon, Tredz, wheelies, Halfords & pretty much any bike shop will have those tyres.

As for the fork, I'm a noob myself & figuring it out as I go along, doing a forum search or a google search will probably come up with the answer.
  • Anonymous
    Chain reaction cycles, wiggle, amazon, Tredz, wheelies, Halfords & pretty much any bike shop will have those tyres.

As for the fork, I'm a noob myself & figuring it out as I go along, doing a forum search or a google search will probably come up with the answer.

ill check out Halfords tomorrow when im in town.

thanks for advice :D
  • Anonymous
    looking at tyres on decathlon amongst other things :mrgreen:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Your saddle is very far back on the seat post.
    Did you set it like that? If not, try sliding it forward for a more comfortable riding position.
    Try positioning it so the clamp is in the middle of the rails as a starting point.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2013
    JBA wrote:
    Your saddle is very far back on the seat post.
    Did you set it like that? If not, try sliding it forward for a more comfortable riding position.
    Try positioning it so the clamp is in the middle of the rails as a starting point.

i barely ever sit down (its strange feel more in control standing which is odd) probably will it forward thou jus to see if its better)

im 6'3ft tall and find it easyier to stand and peddle

on CRC looking at gloves where i live is generally cold most times ideally like to feel my fingers when cycling places :D
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Regarding tyres, Small Block 8's are on sale here.

You barely sit down? You must be knackered after a ride!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Anonymous
    JBA wrote:
    Regarding tyres, Small Block 8's are on sale here.

You barely sit down? You must be knackered after a ride!

mostly yes but more i do it more fit i become and less tired i will be plus i find it bit better for control then siting down.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're still making it harder than it needs to be. Saddle's there for a reason...
  • Anonymous
    couldn't find anything need can get tyres in town tomorrow. gonna save my money
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    And if the small block 8's are a little above your price range then check out the Michelin Country Rock for a tenner at CRC. Nothing to write home about but they are in the 500grams range (it's rare to get tyres that light for under £20, even more so a tenner).
  • Anonymous
    Ouija wrote:
    And if the small block 8's are a little above your price range then check out the Michelin Country Rock for a tenner at CRC. Nothing to write home about but they are in the 500grams range (it's rare to get tyres that light for under £20, even more so a tenner).

gonna check out Halfords tomorrow might even see if they can fit them for free lol
  • unquestioned
    Halfords charge £7 to change a tyre. Probably wouldn't even put it on right.

It's not hard, you'd manage yourself with no real effort.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Halfords charge £7 to change a tyre. Probably wouldn't even put it on right.

It's not hard, you'd manage yourself with no real effort.

Once stood watching a Halfords tech just finishing up inflating a new tyre for a customer and giving it a quick spin. Even from halfway across the showroom i could see it wasn't on straight and was bulged on one side. Didn't stop the tech slapping it back on the bike with a "jobs a good en" look of satisfaction on his face.
  • Anonymous
    bit worried about the rear one with all the gears and disc brakes and such

front shouldn't be to hard thou
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What happens to your 'gh's?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Ouija wrote:
    Didn't stop the tech slapping it back on the bike with a "jobs a good en" look of satisfaction on his face.

Haha! :lol:

Thats ridiculous...not all halfords staff are like that though. The one nearest to me luckily has some really experienced people in there that talk to you for ages about bikes and know alot. I ask them a few questions from time to time and they give me lengthy and decent answers.

I went to another one and i asked one of the staff how much an ISIS Bottom Bracket tool costs. All 3 of the staff looked at me completely blank wondering what i just said...then one of them said "sorry mate, we only have this one" and handed me the normal one...
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You actually bought a bike, wow!

You really do need tyres, don't buy anything from halfords as they will be over priced.

Fit them yourself, you will get punctures so you may as well practice at home rather than by the side if the road in the rain.

Something like rapid rob's might work for you if you are on a completely tight budget, less than 30 quid for two.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=83180
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500