Anyone doing the Cheshire Cycletta this weekend?

KHodge
KHodge Posts: 27
edited May 2013 in Women's cycling forum
I'm aiming for the 60 mile route but if the weather is bad I might opt for the 40...

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Is this the one listed on cycletta.co.uk? I wasn't sure as the distances mentioned on there are different...

I looked at that site when it was highlighted on BR but the events looked so expensive to enter. Are there other organisations arranging cyclettas?

p.s. Good luck with the ride! I'm doing a 60 mile event next weekend...
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I had hoped to do it but an operation means I am not allowed on the bike at the moment.
    Hopefully next year.
    Enjoy the ride.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    If it's the Tatton Park one, I'm doing it. The longest route is the 52km one - figured that if the weather is bad, then it's short enought to be still do-able (although I'm taking warm clothes and a thick towel to get changed in the car afterwards!).
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • KHodge
    KHodge Posts: 27
    Yeah I totally got the distances wrong!! Did the 52km one - it was flat as a pancake. Very pretty and quiet roads. Met lovely Vicky P too! How did you find it msmancunia? Hope you recover from the op quickly singletrackanne!
  • msmancunia
    KHodge wrote:
    Yeah I totally got the distances wrong!! Did the 52km one - it was flat as a pancake. Very pretty and quiet roads. Met lovely Vicky P too! How did you find it msmancunia? Hope you recover from the op quickly singletrackanne!

Thought it was ok - not done it before so yes, very pretty route, and will try and do some of the lanes again one weekend. My strava said I'd only done 500m of climbing in 52k!

I did think it was very expensive for what it was though. Too busy at the pamper zone thing to take advantage of that, and thought goody bag was a bit poor. Femfresh wipes anyone?! The thing that really surprised me was how many women had absolutely no road sense - riding three or four abreast, weaving all over the road, etc. The ride instructions mentioned it so it would have been nice if people could have read those, instead of treating it like a closed road event :lol:

So, done it, but probably not next year. Did the 52m Great Manchester Cycle last year and much preferred that - it was loads of fun, so doing that again in six weeks. I mean, how often do you get to cycle on a motorway? :lol:
  • Is it just me or do any other women find these events hideously patronising? I mean, they're advertised as 'designed for women of all ages and abilities' yet with the longest ride on offer - the Cycletta Challenge - being around 55km it seems as though they're really only aimed at beginners. And don't even start me on the spa tent? Whilst I think it's great that there seems to be an effort to get more women into cycling I'm unconvinced that having crap hair at the end of a ride is a serious barrier to female participation in the sport. I dunno, maybe other people see them differently but for for me, as a female cyclist I feel alienated and would never consider taking part in one.
    Small fat weak punter
  • msmancunia
    I did feel a bit like that. But like I said to my boss - maybe it's not aimed at people like me and I got the wrong end of the stick a bit. I'm in no way a racer, but I got the impression that it was "just a bike ride", when most normal people, no matter what their ability, would probably like to do a decent time. Pamper zone made me cringe, as did referring to the feeding station on their website as a "treat stop". And then you get the feminine wipes in your goody bag. May as well drop a couple of tampax and a tube of canestan in there too eh? :roll: