Frameset in matt black for around £1k mark

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Was looking for a nice shiny new bike when i decided to try and do my own build instead.

Have been looking at the Felt F1 frameset, but have now set a limit of 1k for the frame, so the Felt is no longer an option.

Want the frame in matt black.

Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Was looking for a nice shiny new bike when i decided to try and do my own build instead.

Have been looking at the Felt F1 frameset, but have now set a limit of 1k for the frame, so the Felt is no longer an option.

Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3119 or the anodised Ultimate AL frame which is a fair bit cheaper but highly regarded.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3118
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    what size do you need? Evans have some storming BMC frame deals
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sounds like a Ribble with change to spare for a holiday to me.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • clunkychunky
    clunkychunky Posts: 178
    Canyon - good call! Never thought of them!
    Although, is there likely to be the usual eternal wait that haunts every bike order from them?
    pkripper wrote:
    what size do you need? Evans have some storming BMC frame deals

Need a 56cm.
    Will have a look at Evans and see what they have.
    smidsy wrote:
    Sounds like a Ribble with change to spare for a holiday to me.

Nothing against Ribble bikes, excellent value for money, but dont really want to go down that route.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    Try the Dolan Ares AN post. I've been speaking with them over the last week and I'm able to have one in a satin black finish with black decals. Great company to deal with nothing but praise with the way they've handled each email and phone call.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    Just need to try one out before I commit so that's on in a few weeks once I've got work out of the way
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Canyon - good call! Never thought of them!
    Although, is there likely to be the usual eternal wait that haunts every bike order from them?

I bought an Ultimate CF frame last year and is fantastic. Be carefull with sizing though as the headtube comes up longer than on the specs as the fork crown is quite deep (take 10mm off IME).

The long wait is only for the new SLX, you should have no such issues with the CF. You may want to wait untill July though as for last years TDF deals I got my frameset for about £700 :D

IMHO best frameset out there for the price by some margin (but I would say that wouldn't I)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Was looking for a nice shiny new bike
    It won't be shiny then, will it? :D:wink:

I don't get this black bike thing and I really wish manufacturers would get over it. If we're not careful, bikes will become as boring looking as cars, except in black instead of horrible grey/silver.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I recently changed my car and the colour choice list stated available in 12 colours.

When I actually looked at them there were 3 whites, 3 blacks, 6 variants of silver/grey. WTF!

I got it it Titanium (so mid grey then) :-(
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    smidsy wrote:
    I recently changed my car and the colour choice list stated available in 12 colours.

When I actually looked at them there were 3 whites, 3 blacks, 6 variants of silver/grey. WTF!

I got it it Titanium (so mid grey then) :-(
    The thing is it doesn't just affect the car owner/buyer, it affects everyone's environment because we are all surrounded by cars most of the time. If you look back at colour photographs or video footage of streets from the 1950s - 1970s the most noticeable difference is the wonderful variety of bright colours that cars are painted. It must have been easier to cheer yourself up in the morning in those days just by walking out of the door. Must be a conspiracy of some sort, just need to work out what their evil intention is.. :wink: