New road bike up to £1300??

Andy Cope
Andy Cope Posts: 9
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I've been looking into buying a new road bike. I will be using the bike to go to work during the summer. Approx 40 miles per day. Also to be used on longer rides with friends. I have gone through alot of items on the forum etc. I would like a little advise from you guys on what to or not to go and look at!!.

My list so far....

Forme Longcliffe 1.0
Forme Axe Edge Sport
Giant Defy 1
Boardman Team
Cannondale 8 or 10
Planet X
Trek
Specialized
Ribble
If there are any other's that I should concider, please let me know.

Any advice before I go to my LBS, or if anyone knows of any good deals at the mo.

Much appreciated

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i'd add cube to that list, you can get one of the agree gtc models for that price :) i have one and its awesome!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    if it were my money I'd have the cannondale CAAD10 with 105 groupset
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Boardman Team Carbon
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Ive just ordered a canyon, well worth a look. I know its the direct order but can't fault the price to spec ratio.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Canyon or Ribble R872 with 105 black, compact crankset, Fulcrum 5's, GP4000S upgrades over stock? Comes in at £1358.
    Cheers, Stu
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Getting a bit fed up of hearing my own voice when someone asks for recommendations of bikes around the £1000/1500 price point but this is a bargain and i dont quite understand why they have not been snapped up already!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-saetta- ... loce-2012/
  • Andy Cope
    Thanks for the positive replies. I thought that this is what a forum was about!! To ask advice.
  • Andy Cope wrote:
    Thanks for the positive replies. I thought that this is what a forum was about!! To ask advice.

It is - but what a strange list eg CAAD 8 & 10 are two entirely different animals yet in the same list.

And then to throw a whole brand in eg Trek is odd.

Maybe a more focused list will get a more focused reply?
  • brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 464
    For what its worth, Having done the giant defy, Trek 2.3 routes, I took a gamble on a Ribble Bianco, its a different level and for the money a bargain, cant believe how great it rides. Looks beautiful in the flesh too.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think you need to consider if you want an out and out racing machine or more of an all rounder. More likely to be the later if you are not sure, so Ribble Sportive or Planet X R58 I'd say.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i'd add cube to that list, you can get one of the agree gtc models for that price :) i have one and its awesome!

+1

I've got the Cube Agree GTC, their entry level carbon frame bike, for £1250 and it's just brilliant.
  • Andy Cope
    Yes, I would prefer a all round bike, not an all out race machine. I read good feedback about Ribble, Planet X and Cube. Anyone got a Forme bike?