Planning a 100 miler

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Me and a neighbour are thinking of having our first 100 mile run in the Summer.

And even though i have done the route a thousand times in the car i haven't done it by cycle.I have Strava on my phone but this would drain the battery before i get half way i would imagine,so what would you recommend that i use.?

I could of course just use the old fashioned map and follow my nose if nothing else would do,and i do not want to shell out for a Garmin,at least not yet as finances have to be respected.I thought i could simply print out the route from Google maps but would like to be able to ride without looking at a map every five minutes.But if this is the only way then so be it.
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Davdandy wrote:
    ...just use the old fashioned map and follow my nose...

That's what I do and haven't got lost yet (...well not so lost that I couldn't get back on track with just a map).
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Buy a cheap usb battery pack, such as :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-Portabl ... ttery+pack

Then use Strava or Endomondo
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    strava doesnt plan routes so that doesnt help?

just use a map folded/cut to make it easy to use if you want to go that far, or even just write a sheet of directions and put in your pocket. A few road numbers, towns and guidance notes shouldnt need more than a couple of pages from a notebook?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Jacabus
    Jacabus Posts: 49
    Write the road names, main junctions and turns on some sticky paper and stick it to your bike (on the top tube). Saves stopping to get a map out. Take a photo of the route and keep it on your phone.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Use bikehike.co.uk to plan the route (shows elevation gain, distance etc) then print off sections of the maps, put them in clear A4 pouches, tape the open end and you have a custom waterproof map. Bikehike has OS as well as Google type mapping so gives you all the detail you need.

Or photocopy sections of your big AA road atlas from the car and seal in clear plastic as before.
  • sunburntknees
    sunburntknees Posts: 272
    Write a list of the villages/towns you pass through on a piece of paper and then follow the road signs. It's what people did in the olden days I believe! Used very effectively in Spain recently by yours truly.