Ribble R872 customisation

lmr88
lmr88 Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Having read the very complimentary review on here, I've decided to buy a Ribble R872 with the Di2 Ultrega Double Groupset. Does anybody have any other reccomendations as far as sensibly priced customisation options go?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRC&bike=1

It's my first road bike, having bounced between a few hybrids. I'll be using it for sporadic long distance cycling (including a 95 mile trek once a month) and the odd triathlon. With the groupset I'm looking at just over 2 grand so if anybody knows of any similarly priced alternatives then I'm all ears but it must be hard to beat that '11/10 value.'

Thanks. :)

Comments

• I've just been playing with the Ribble BikeBuilder myself, more out of curiosity to see what spec I could possible get in my budget. For around the same price as you've stated I was looking at full Ultegra with some good wheels.

I'd ideally like something with SRAM Force, as I've got that on my current bike and really like it but that isn't an option with the Ribble.
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    oxoman wrote:
    You may be better with the Gran fondo as its a more relaxed geometry than the R872 IHMO. I personally would not put Electronic shifting on my bikes even if i could afford it, i would go with 105 / Ultegra or Campag / Sram equivalents. I have seen first hand the abuse Triathlon bikes get and i suspect any electronic shifting would or could get easily damaged. I would make sure you like the feel of the Ribble first as well, either visit the showroom in Preston or try fellow forumites bikes for size. If your not doing a lot of riding the easier geometry frame would is suspect be better for you. Also whilst the R872 is very good is it really worth putting a grand plus groupset on a bike only going to be used occasionally i suspect not.

I agree. Coincidentally I saw a Ribble 872 in the flesh last night and it's a stunning bike. The frame was size small but the head stock was very low and definitely a race biased geometry. I was chatting to its owner and whilst he couldn't fault it for quality/value he was struggling to get comfy on it and also wasn't convinced with the handling. Not to say it won't suit you but worth consideration.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    I have an r872 with full ultegra, 50mm carbon rims, carbon seat and post, integrated carbon bars and stem and Planet X Cnc brakes. It is bloody quick, very comfortable even with the full carbon seat and very responsive.

I would say its well worth spending the money on it.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    I did 400miles in Majorca on my "Stealth" towards the end of last month, nothing wrong with comfort if its set up well
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • I know it's horses for courses but mine is really comfortable.

Bought mine as frame only and spent the winter picking up a Red groupset and other exotic components on ebay and putting the whole thing together. It's never occurred to me for a second that the frame wasn't up to the groupset. To paraphrase Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock, "I love my bike so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant".