Brake Problem on new Cannondale SL2 29er

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently purchased a Cannondale SL2 29er from Paulscycles.

Everything is good except for a problem I have with the front brake. I have only been on 3 rides with it and the problem is getting worse.

On the first ride, I found that by pumping the front brake lever 4-5 times it built up some pressure and the stopping power was okay, but certainly not as good as the back brake. On the second ride I had to re-pump the brake part way around to try and keep some pressure in the brake. On my last ride I found that pumping the brake only held pressure for a very short time and I was pulling the lever to the handle and the brake was hardly engaging.

I sent this to Paulscycles, and in fairness they have replied within 24 hours stating that "It sounds as if the brake will have to come back to us for repair" - no further information.

I've asked for details of which parts of the brake setup they want returning, and I am assuming they will arrange the courier to pick it up.

What do you guys reckon? Does it sound like a faulty item that they should just replace or should I have to do without my bike until they can turn the repair around?

Very frustrating with a brand new bike ...

Comments

• neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    Sounds like it needs bleeding
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • Take the whole brake unit off - lever off the handlebar and calliper off the frame leaving them connected by the hose. This is what you will need to send back to Paul's. Clearly in an ideal world everything would work perfectly first time and if it isn't working then really the shop should have spotted this. However, life's not perfect and it sounds reasonable to me for them to offer to mend it and is part of the risk you run when you go mail order vs LBS.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you mess with it and can't sort it out/make it worse they can walk away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Macdory
    All boxed up and in the post ...

I did a ride yesterday evening with only my back brake - I didn't realise how much I used my front brake until it was gone ...

Saying that, with less braking available I thought about my lines more and actually went quicker :)
  • Macdory
    Boooo - posted it recorded delivery last Thursday so it will have gotten to Paulscycles on Friday ... still no brake back with me today :/

It's a good job the Bank Holiday weather was so nice otherwise that would be getting the blame!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You expect it back in a day? Over a long weekend. Bit optimistic maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Macdory
    cooldad wrote:
    You expect it back in a day? Over a long weekend. Bit optimistic maybe.

Yup I was - got it back today though.

Have to say that I'm impressed with Paulscycles ... would have been nice if it had turned up perfect, but their customer service once the fault was identified has been excellent.

Just need the rain and wind to go away now ... I wonder if they can fix that?